Fair Deal? Independent Agent/Agency question

Danimal

Expert
I am an independent agent/broker and my core business is Individual Life / Final Expense. Send my own mail and buy my own FaceBook ads then ride around and visit to see who I can help.

Started renting office space last year in a highly reputable, medium sized local independent agency that focuses on homeowners & flood. Great environment and very good relationship between the owner and me has been developing nicely over time. Plus the agency has a nice website and an attractive office building/location so there's some "soft' benefit to my affiliation (vs. home office and no business address or associating with a less appealing shop).

Finally got my P&C license in September and trying to figure out what an equitable commission split should look like between the agency/owner and me. So far we have converted on a handful of one another's referrals, but not exchanged compensation (aside from me paying him rent, which is fine) nor have we put anything in writing.

To underscore - I am totally fine with paying rent. I am happy with the office space and environment, plus the fact that I pay rent helps clearly define the relationship (I'm not looking for a job, set hours or job-like responsibilities to the agency). That said I also did AHIP for the first time this year and picked up a Med Sup carrier and contracts with all the local MediCare providers.. and it seems like the agency owner views those capabilities as a potential asset to the agency...

I guess the three things I want most are: 1) a formula by which I get paid on homeowners flood business I bring in, 2) access to his entire book of business to prospect then pay him a split on that business, and 3) freedom to do what I want and continue making money on things that have nothing to do with the agency.

Should be easy, right? In a way I feel like the commission split could be any number ranging from 30/70 to 70/30 AS LONG AS the split is the same going both ways. For example, if he decides he can only pay a 30% split on homeowners commissions then fine - I'll just pay him 30% on any life/other business I sell into his book. He is also life licensed and has E&O so we already have him in my downline at one carrier and we both have writing numbers with a few other carriers in common.

A side goal is to keep admin and accounting simple and clean. When I sell one of his clients I want to have the carrier (not me) pay him directly. And I'd like to know that when I hand off a hot referral to his new business department that it's going to be tracked accordingly and I'll get paid on it promptly (and repeatedly with renewals in future years). There's also a question of when a sliding scale might be appropriate (potentially paying me more if I'm doing the actual quoting and closing vs just handing off the hot lead).

So in summary, I have no desire to employ my own CSRs or build my own agency empire one day. I like being affiliated with this shop and would like to see it turn into a win/win. My near to medium term goal is to maximize income from personal production (whether it comes from Life, Annuity, Health/Medicare or P&C). I've looked into a couple of the online aggregators and I'm not attracted to that model or frankly the Brightway route. Haven't even begun to contemplate "terminal value" or a potential future buyout of my book but that is probably something that should be taken into consideration as long as we are inching towards a formal agreement...

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advise!

Dan

You might want to take into consideration how much each of you make on individual issued policies in order to find equitable splits. If he sells a $1000 premium home policy he might get $100. If you sell a $1000 premium life policy you might get $1000 so your 30% from him pales in comparison to 30% to him.

You might want to take into consideration how much each of you make on individual issued policies in order to find equitable splits. If he sells a $1000 premium home policy he might get $100. If you sell a $1000 premium life policy you might get $1000 so your 30% from him pales in comparison to 30% to him.

Absolutely correct but in years 2+ he is still getting the same 10% to 15% renewal commission whereas my 120% in year 1 goes to 7% on renewals and gets worse from there. No question the P&C compensation structure rewards the long game. I still struggle to see how any of these guys are making money on it since the commissions are so low yet somehow they (P&C guys) are all more wealthy than me so I'm trying to add P&C income to my business model without disrupting short term income generation...

Absolutely correct but in years 2+ he is still getting the same 10% to 15% renewal commission whereas my 120% in year 1 goes to 7% on renewals and gets worse from there. No question the P&C compensation structure rewards the long game. I still struggle to see how any of these guys are making money on it since the commissions are so low yet somehow they (P&C guys) are all more wealthy than me so I'm trying to add P&C income to my business model without disrupting short term income generation...
The difference is that when a P&C agent loses a customer they lose a $70 renewal commission on that original $1000 premium. When a LIfe agent loses the customer they could lose $180 or more for that initial $1000 policy. We all just go out and find the next customer

Life comm generally have little to no overhead as the service work can be minimal. PC renewals can have ongoing overhead costs of 25-40% depending on the book size & level of CSR staffing as PC is much more labor intensive long term. I don't to think the PC agent should give up more than 50% of the renewals at most of he is paying for the ongoing servicing of the clients

Don’t mange my book, brah!

Your stupid.

Do you have a website that lists your carrier coverage in Louisiana? Hope you aren’t offended easily because I find humor in typos.

Thanks for your response- Dan

Back