Fair Pay for Commissioned Telemarketer?

Heather

Guru
100+ Post Club
NY
I have an experienced telemarketer that would like to cold call from their home for me. They said they would prefer commission only, however I just don't know what would be considered a fair pay plan.

Yes I know its illegal to split commissions with an unlicensed person. She is retired and disabled no wish to become an agent, she just needs a part time income.

I was thinking of maybe getting her a T-65 list and see how she does calling for med supp to start before having her call businesses.

Any suggestions on how to pay her?

Pay her for each appointment generated and then pay her a BONUS instead of commissions, tied to what you make, i.e. $50 bonus for every $2k in AP.

Pay per hour...if she doesnt get an appointment and has to work hours at a time without pay, its unlikely she'll stay motivated to stay on.

Pay per hour...if she doesnt get an appointment and has to work hours at a time without pay, its unlikely she'll stay motivated to stay on.

Gee. Maybe agents should be paid by the hour.. If they work for hours at a time because they don't make a sale.............?

well the bottom line is what will motivate the worker to continue..and what is going to give the producer the consistancy that they will need to make the sales...Some things are not apples to apples, marketing and sales are totally different ball games, especially cold calling versus an appointment with a qualified interested prospect.

If the results are great and you want to keep that worker on, it might be worth it to you long term to keep that person motivated and to keep getting leads that help you to keep making the sales!

Heather - I have had several clients tell me that they have commission only appointment setting for $30 - $40 per lead and they can work on a project basis...i.e. if you want 10 leads per week, they will generate 10. I also have other clients tell me that this doesn't work as it is hard to keep people motivated. So they pay per hour with a bonus for each lead / appt they set up. I have heard of hourly rates ranging from $17 per hour to $28 per hour for an outside rep.

I would never pay a home worker by the hour to start off, also I am hesitant to pay by the hour since then they become an employee and we are then talking about workman's comp and pay roll taxes, unemployment, that sort off thing. I prefer to keep everyone on a 1099.

I ended up not offering her the position.

Maybe next time begin with a short trial period two weeks to see what the results look like...I have been doing this since 98 and always offer my clients a 2 week trial so everyone gets a good understanding of what
to expect. There are variables that can affect results also such as
geography, age of the list, products being marketed, but if you start out
with a test period you will get to see results.
Good luck.

Back