Family History Questions

As an FYI, I was suprised to learn today that Mutual of Omaha has an un-published UW criteria that states if there is a family history of Alzheimers that they will limit the benefit period to 5 years.

I have generally operated under the statement of "family questions are gathered for statistical purposes only" We know that GNW did not even require those questions to be answered until recently.

Curious if anyone knows of other carriers that may use family history in any way....other than things like Huntington's Chorea, etc

Leads to an interesting discussion of genetic testing.....as this started with a client who had a genetic marker for hemochromotosis and was denied preferred by Mutual of Omaha. He does not have the condition, but only a marker that he could pass the actual condition to his children if he married the right/wrong person with the same marker. He was obviously upset that he was denied the preferred discount because of it....claiming it was impossible for him to contract the disease.

Last edited:
As an FYI, I was suprised to learn today that Mutual of Omaha has an un-published UW criteria that states if there is a family history of Alzheimers that they will limit the benefit period to 5 years.

Not like it is hard enough, but they have un-published criteria. Keeps getting harder.

I have generally operated under the statement of "family questions are gathered for statistical purposes only" We know that GNW did not even require those questions to be answered until recently.

This is what I was told as well. I didn't believe it for a second. Turns out there are reasons for the question.

Back