Farmers Denies Business !

todd02

Guru
100+ Post Club
So I just wanted to rant a bit. I am a new agent at Farmers, writing quite a bit of P/C now that we are competitive and I just got my first STUPID decline.

So apparently Farmers will not write ANY ONE with a glass claim within the last 3 years. I got a 300k home, 2 cars, 1 umbrella client who lives on a golf course. He had a $200 glass claim in 2/1/2008 and he was denied our Home owners policy....

I even asked the underwriter, "so if a kid threw a baseball through my window and I made a claim, I could not get a home policy at Farmers for 3 years."

HOW DOES THIS MAKES SENSE BUSINESS WISE!!! IT IS DRIVING ME MAD WITH RAGE!!!

I feel better now... Please feel free to say how stupid this underwriting guideline is..

Re: Farmers DENIES BUSINESS!

So I just wanted to rant a bit. I am a new agent at Farmers, writing quite a bit of P/C now that we are competitive and I just got my first STUPID decline.

So apparently Farmers will not write ANY ONE with a glass claim within the last 3 years. I got a 300k home, 2 cars, 1 umbrella client who lives on a golf course. He had a $200 glass claim in 2/1/2008 and he was denied our Home owners policy....

I even asked the underwriter, "so if a kid threw a baseball through my window and I made a claim, I could not get a home policy at Farmers for 3 years."

HOW DOES THIS MAKES SENSE BUSINESS WISE!!! IT IS DRIVING ME MAD WITH RAGE!!!

I feel better now... Please feel free to say how stupid this underwriting guideline is..

Yeah the carriers reserve the right to be stupid...I don't do P&C but if I'm not mistaken you are captive at Farmers which can leave you in a pickle in this type of case...I would check my state law about sharing commissions...Here in Maine as long as both agents carry the required license for the piece of business the other agent can write the business and cut me a check and 1099 for my piece....If your laws work that way it might make sense to befriend an independent agent in your area.

The key to P&C is knowing your underwriting guidelines inside and out.

There is more to this story than what you are saying. Nobody files a $200 glass claim, the deductible is higher than that (unless they have a separate glass coverage).

As an agent, get used to being told certain things don't fit the model they are looking for (doesn't matter the carrier). Have alternatives for stuff you come up against that doesn't fit with carrier 'A'. Not a big deal.

Dan

This is one reason I don't like P&C. The companies are very anal and not very consumer friendly.

I feel your pain partner. That's why you should consider working with more carriers.

He can't work with more carriers. He is captive and his contract probably says that if he leaves Farmers for a period of one year he cannot "solicit, accept, or service" any Farmers customer in his district" not only the ones he wrote. He will also "accept contract value" for his book of business, meaning it's not really his after all. Oh, and then there's that pesky repayment of subsidies.

He can't work with more carriers. He is captive and his contract probably says that if he leaves Farmers for a period of one year he cannot "solicit, accept, or service" any Farmers customer in his district" not only the ones he wrote. He will also "accept contract value" for his book of business, meaning it's not really his after all. Oh, and then there's that pesky repayment of subsidies.

That's exactly why I left them.Best decision I ever made.

Since when is Farmers Captive? We write for about 8 different carriers as independent and Farmers is one of them.

As stated: "Get more carriers...":idea:
If they haven't pulled their business from you yet, they will. In most states they no longer allow indies to sell their products.

As stated: "Most can't get more carriers...":no:

Latest posts

Back