Farmers Insurance insuring a Restoration Contractor for General Liability, Pollution & Professional?

John Hezeltine

Afternoon,
Has anyone ever run into Farmers Insurance insuring a Restoration Contractor that does Flood, Fire and Mold & Trauma? I worked in the mitigation industry for 8 years before coming over to the commercial agent world 6 years ago.
I currently write several different Restoration companies and feel confident on knowing most of the markets available for them. I recently ran across a customer telling me that Farmers Commercial offered him a policy that was almost too good to be true on price and coverage.. Even with Farmers having there brokerage arm I have never seen them have an appetite for this line business. Has anyone else ever seen or run into this?

Many Commercial policies are only as good as the application filed to get the policy. No telling what was in the application to get the policy so you would have to see the policy and go over the coverage. I worked on a commercial policy in-house written as musical instrument repair. I knew that the guy repaired engines on farm equipment. So he had a policy but no coverage for the real business.

Whenever I meet with a client that has a Farmers commercial policy, I tell them before I even look at their commercial policy that it probably has things missing. Once they hand me their policy I open it up, and 95% of the time I find glaring mistakes. BPP coverage a fraction of what it is supposed to be. Wrong classifications. Wrong payroll. Missing liability. GLARING, GAPING, BORDERLINE CRIMINAL mistakes. I've seen a few that are correct, but for everyone 1 I see that is correct, I see 20 or so that are completely f#cked up. Farmers is by far the worst offender.

The policy I referred to was Allstate and written by a co-worker. Because, you know, anyone can write a commercial policy. My brother is an underwriter for a major commercial player and I asked him why I got push back when I asked potential customers proper questions. his answer, "Because you ask the right questions"

Back