Faxing Without a Fax Machine

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
I have used Maxemail for many years and it has served my needs well. They were bought by eFax and when my current subscription runs out my cost will go from $24/yr to $85.

Most of the incoming faxes are junk but occasionally I need to receive something from a client. Might happen half a dozen times a year.

And sometimes I need to scan & fax a document. Maybe 15 times a year.

I believe Windows 10 has scan & fax capability. Just haven't gone looking for it. But need a way to RECEIVE faxes from time to time. Probably need a phone modem for that, so scratch that idea.

There was some discussion about incorporating fax send/receive into Gmail but appears that never got off the ground.

Suggestions?

Last edited:
I use https://www.srfax.com/pricing/home-fax-to-email-plans/

Its $3 per month for up to 25 pages per month, then ten cents per page after that. You can send and receive.

You get your own fax number and it will email you a pdf of the faxes you receive. Ive received no spam so far, and just one wrong number.

To send you just upload the document on your web portal.

Its worked perfectly so far. I send/receive faxes very rarely, so the 25 page per month plan is more than enough for me.

I have used Maxemail for many years and it has served my needs well. They were bought by eFax and when my current subscription runs out my cost will go from $24/yr to $85.

I don't have a suggestion. Just lamenting the closing of Maxemail. Used and loved it since 1999.

Instead of flowers, send money. I also have a PayPal account.

Let me know if you come up with an alternative. I just ordered a USB fax modem that hopefully will work for outgoing calls.

Not sure yet how to handle incoming.

I saw a fax machine in a museum once. I think back in the 1980's, they were amazing devices, nowadays though, just scan and email.

Seriously though, I wish fax machines would just die. I do understand that faxing things is a touch easier then scanning and emailing, but not by a lot. I recently had a bank require I fax something, or if I wanted to scan and email it, then I had to have it notarized and mail in the actual document, but just faxing was fine. Couldn't figure that one out.....

I was at my doctors office a while back, they needed a copy of my insurance card. I don't carry it, but I have a copy on my phone. I said I'll email it to you, they asked if I could fax it to them so it would be easier to read.

Seriously, fax machines need to die.

Dan

Instead of flowers, send money. I also have a PayPal account.

Let me know if you come up with an alternative. I just ordered a USB fax modem that hopefully will work for outgoing calls.

Not sure yet how to handle incoming.

I went with Nextiva, local number, fax number and toll free for $35(?) a month. Then the fancy phone was free (some promotion) and it does all this sync stuff with my cell.

Obviously, I have no clue, but I will PM you the contact info.

Google magic jack fax capability. It is the 4th result down. It is a way you can use Magic Jack to fax documents. It's only $35 a year.

Sorry I can't post the link, I don't have enough post on here yet.

Again, SRFax is $3 per month and you get to send/receive with no need for a modem and they give you your own dedicated fax number. If you want to send/receive over 25 pages per month upgrade to the $6 per month plan and you get 100 pages a month.

RedFax is another service that lets you send/receive with no modem. But I had some issues with them so I switched to SRFax and love it.
Another one you could take a look at is HelloFax (same company as HelloSign). But SRFax is cheaper if I remember correctly.

Dan, for some reason carriers think faxed documents are secure but those sent by email or not. Amazing how many times they ask me to fax something.

Can I scan & email?

No, that isn't secure. You have to fax.

Jen, thanks for the offer but $35/mo is going the wrong way. I don't want to pay eFax $85/yr for no more faxing than I do.

Tyler, thanks for the tip. Will check them out.

Dustin, tried MJ early in their development. Not impressed but will look at them again.

Dan, for some reason carriers think faxed documents are secure but those sent by email or not. Amazing how many times they ask me to fax something.

Can I scan & email?

No, that isn't secure. You have to fax.

Jen, thanks for the offer but $35/mo is going the wrong way. I don't want to pay eFax $85/yr for no more faxing than I do.

Tyler, thanks for the tip. Will check them out.

Dustin, tried MJ early in their development. Not impressed but will look at them again.

The carriers would freak if they realized how many faxes are scan email and fax with the document passing through extra hands. In this day and age a secure upload to their system should be a requirement.

Back