Federal Discrimination Suit Filed Against Large Annuity Distributor

Brian Anderson

Executive Editor
100+ Post Club
So this was front-page news in The Denver Post today…

Racial and sexual discrimination alleged at Denver life insurance company
Jackson National Life Insurance Company is named in the suit by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission

Here are four of the first five paragraphs of the article:

A federal lawsuit accuses a Denver life insurance company of racial and sexual discrimination against seven top-performing Denver annuity wholesalers and supervisors who were all black.

The employees recount blatant racial and sexual abuse incidents, including one in which La’Tonya Ford, the top saleswoman of Jackson National Life Insurance Company, was ordered to get on her knees while her boss mimicked a sex act with a vodka bottle and fellow workers laughed. The Jackson employees said they were routinely demeaned, denied promotions and bonuses and fired when they complained.

The incidents allegedly occurred in the Denver Tech Center, where the world’s second-leading annuities firm with $4 billion in annual sales of insurance and annuities does business. The employees who were allegedly discriminated against were trusted with top accounts, including Wells Fargo and Chase Bank, but passed over for promotions by white men with lesser qualifications, the lawsuit says.

Gerald Maatman, a Jackson attorney, said the firm does not comment on pending litigation, but “Jackson is committed to the fair and sensitive treatment of all employees.”

Racial and sexual discrimination alleged at Denver life insurance company – The Denver Post

Wow. You'd think they were auditioning for The Wolf of Wall Street part 2 or something. This doesn't belong anywhere.

I hope there's proof &/or enough testimony to make this right, if these things happened.

This sort of thing unfortunately still goes on. I heard a story like this with every financial institution I have worked for. I had to leave NYL over something worse than what is in this article. The company will pay a fine and the few executives who get fired will get another job at another insurance company.

Latest posts

Back