Feds: Brokers Can Be HHS Exchange Navigators

Duaine

Guru
100+ Post Club
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) talk about who can and cannot be health insurance exchange "navigators" in a new batch of proposed regulations.

In the proposed regulations, "Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act; Exchange Functions: Standards for Navigators and Non-Navigator Assistance Personnel" (CMS-9955-P) (RIN 0938-AR75), CMS officials also talk about the rules that will govern "non-navigator consumer assistance programs," such as "in-person assister" programs.

Officials at CMS -- an arm of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services -- said HHS eventually might require every Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) exchange to set up a "certified application counselor program" to complement its navigator program.

Officials said in the proposed regulations that:

•HHS wants to let agents and brokers serve as navigators, as long as the producers are not getting any consideration, including trailing commissions, from health insurers.

•Health insurers and their subsidiaries could not be navigators.

•Issuers of stop-loss insurance -- insurance for self-insured health plans -- and the stop-loss issuers' subsidiaries could not be navigators.

•The same compensation rules that apply to producers who sell health insurance would apply to producers who sell stop-loss insurance.

•Agents and brokers who sell products other than health insurance or stop-loss insurance could be navigators and also continue to collect compensation from the providers of those other lines of insurance products.

CMS officials said they want to let producers serve as navigators because they recognize that producers have traditionally helped consumers buy health insurance.

"We anticipate that agents and brokers will continue to be an important source of assistance for many consumers seeking access to health insurance coverage through an exchange, including those who own and/or are employed by small business," officials said.

In other documents, CMS officials and the officials in charge of most state-based exchanges have said that they expect commercial health insurance agents and brokers to continue to sell coverage to customers, and for the brokers to negotiate commission rates directly with the insurers, without the exchanges being directly involved in setting the rates.

Officials have said that exchanges would pay the navigators. The Washington Health Benefit Exchange, for example, has posted a hypothetical example of a navigator contract summary that shows that the navigator might get about $85 per application.

The proposed regulations are set to appear in the Federal Register Friday. Comments will be due 30 days after the official Federal Register publication date.

PPACA

PPACA requires HHS to work with states to set up exchanges, or Web-based health insurance supermarkets, in every state and the District of Columbia by Oct. 1. The exchanges will sell "qualified health plans" (QHPs), or plans that cover a minimum level of the actuarial value of a standardized "essential health benefits" (EHB) package.

Feds: Brokers can be HHS exchange navigators | LifeHealthPro

$85 per application? I'd get paid more to flip burgers! To gross $30K, you would need 353 applications. Who in their right mind would do that? I thought I was dumb for sticking around for the big $200 per contract. Anyone jumping at $85 gets what they deserve!

Honestly, $85/year is an improvement on a lot of the plans here...

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but we have carriers paying $0 on individuals (with a $40 one time bonus if they meet certain criteria), $5PCPM, $8 PCPM or 2% with nothing on Platinum or Cat plans...

Not going to name names, but that covers 4 of the big 8 here.

The other ones aren't bad (3-4%), some are even great (BCBS with $15 PMPM, for instance.)

Obviously, you know what carriers are getting business this year.

It may not be out of hand for $85 to be a good value soon. It may make more sense when clients deal with the exchange for service, and you just assist with enrollment every year with pre-made and working accounts.

Last edited:
No way would I work for that, can't make the numbers work. I'd move on to another product, or go get a real J.O.B.

Can someone please fill me in on the peeler joke? I havent been around here long and can already tell he's quite a character and well liked in this forum. Why is he joked about as doing an insane amount of apps?

Back