Feedback Please

Arno

Expert
I have put together a short power-point presentaiton/paper slide presentation to help educate clients about medicare and their different options. This was inspired last night by a client I have an appointment with on Monday, who says he just doesn't understand anything about medicare. How many times have we heard that. It is in the inception stages, and to be honest I am talking about a lot of products that I have very little experience with, up to now. I have been selling only MA plans, and now moving into other areas, supps, life, final expense, annuities (maybe). After you all provide feedback I will translate it into spanish as well and make both available for anyone to use, change edit, etc.

OK it wouldn't let me upload the presentation, I have uploaded 6 of 10 slides but not in .ppt format, perhaps some of you who are interested can email me and I will send to you for your perusal.
Thanks,
Arno

It is in the inception stages, and to be honest I am talking about a lot of products that I have very little experience with, up to now.

At one point I also thought it would be very cool to have a presentation on my computer for senior products. But, unless the people you see are substantially different then the prospects I have worked with over the last fifteen years I would not recommend it.

Most laptop screens can be difficult to see unless the person is sitting directly in front of it.

The presentation can be too "slick" for the senior market.

You can't draw circles, arrows or make notes on the information.

You can't leave the information with them. If you are going to also have a printed copy to leave with them then use that for your presentation instead.

It requires the person to sit next to you. When they do, you can't watch their eyes or body language. Their eyes and body language will tell you a lot more about how your presentation is going than just listening to what they are saying.

Most are going to be uncomfortable sitting that close to a stranger, especially an "insurance agent".

A "canned" sales pitch can be way too long and boring for a lot of people.

It removes some of the "warm and fuzzy" from your "dog and pony" show. (Seniors really like "warm and fuzzy".)

Since you have stated that you are working with products that you have very little experience with, I would wait until you become more familiar with them. Learn what the typical questions are going to be and the things most of them will voice as objections.

Medicare is very easy to explain. There are two parts to Medicare, Part A and Part B. Part A pays a portion of the hospital bills and Part B pays a portion of the doctor bills, ER charges outpatient surgery and tests. To go further you can explain the term "accept assignment", what excess charges are and most importantly the changes that took place in the 90's which all but eliminated "excess charges". (That's why Plan F is no longer the "best plan".) Add info about automatic claims filing and you have pretty well summed up everything they need to know about Medicare.

Any more info than that is going to confuse your prospect and when they get confused they won't make a decision.

Little Bobby asked his mother where he came from one day. She spent an hour carefully explaining the "birds and bees" to him. She then wanted to know why he asked. Bobby said, well, Jimmy said he came from Cleveland.

Keep is simple, friendly, relaxed and conversational. Do what they are going to be comfortable with, not what you think is going to be "cool".

powerpoint on paper

I just used the power point as a vehicle for making slides. Then I printed them out and put them in a binder to flip through. Why don't you guys take a look at it, then tell me what you think. I do value your opinions, but they would mean more if you saw it. What I'm shooting for is more talking points for someone who doesn't understand what their options are. I would post it but I can't, so shoot me an email and I'll send it your way. [email protected]

I just took a look at Arno's "dog/mouse and pony show".

He has done an awesome job of putting it together. His teaching background is really shining bright.

It is something that would help a lot of us working in the senior market.

My only suggestion was that he not show the whole thing at once. Get a signed app on the Supp or Advantage plan and then go into the rest of it.

Better download it before he copyrights it.
:smile:

I just used the power point as a vehicle for making slides. Then I printed them out and put them in a binder to flip through. Why don't you guys take a look at it, then tell me what you think. I do value your opinions, but they would mean more if you saw it. What I'm shooting for is more talking points for someone who doesn't understand what their options are. I would post it but I can't, so shoot me an email and I'll send it your way. [email protected]

I use a yellow pad and pen, now if your presentation can be some how loaded to a 99 cent yellow pad please let me know! I own a laptop, my son has adopted it! I thought ING had a great presentation of an Annuity, yet if I ask someone to view it they would say "oh please", and not in an affirmative manner.

I do not use a presentation. It is not my style. I prefer to just talk and have my note sheet. That is usually my mapquest printed map. That way I have their address, name and phone #, date I was there (I put that in the notes part prior to printing) and all my tid bits on the back. And if I have to go back, the map is already there.

Questions I ask -

Do you know how Medicare works? If not do a quick run down

What coverage do you have now? That usually gets me the pros and cons as well as why they are looking to change. Otherwise I will ask that. Explain the difference of a supp vs. MA.

Have you heard of (Company Name Here)? Go over a brief history of them

Review Summary of benefits - Ask if they have any questions - To enroll you today I just need to see your Red White and Blue Medicare ID card.

Simple. Sounds quick but usually lasts about 1 - 1 1/2 hours.

I also use a "Big Chief tablet and a sharp crayon". However, I can see that having something printed to refer to would be a big help to a new agent just getting into the senior market who wanted to make sure he didn’t forget anything.

He will learn soon enough that covering those things in a "normal conversation" about Medicare will be a lot more effective, make him look more knowledgeable, be less time consuming and won't run the risk of boring the prospect.

I'm not a big fan of "canned sales pitches" either. That is usually a tip off that the person is relatively inexperienced at what they are doing. I said, usually.

Back