Feeling hopeless

Brandon 8676

Expert
Hi, new to the site here. I have been a life insurance agent since May, yet I have only been able to write two introductory offer policies that are free for the first year, and just one actual sale, which was a modified benefit life policy. I am starting to feel really hopeless out there.

I have tried inquiring with friends and family about life, health, and AD&D insurance but all of them said they are already happy with what they have, or can’t afford it. So that’s left me with leads to follow, some of which I’ve gotten through services, others through our company. Sadly most of these leads are either not interested, uninsurable, or the address and numbers listed are bad. And I’ve been cussed out quite a few times on calls and knocking on their doors.

It’s frustrating because not only do I wish to do well for myself, but I also want to do well for the company and my superiors, as it is, I feel like I am letting them down.

Anyone else been in this situation? How long did it take to sell/write your first policy? I’m honestly surprised they haven’t let me go yet for my failure thus far.

My first year I only made $16k and felt hopeless too. Once I got someone to train me that helped me find my niche, I started making money.
Sometimes you need to find new training or find a new career. I’m glad I stuck with it though.

They will never let you go in most cases. You have to move on for yourself. My worst decision was trying to stick it out with a company that had no ground game.

If you are a W2 the company should be offering you resources. You should be able to do ride alongs. You should get some type of preferential treatment for chargebacks, same with advances. If you can't, just leave, you're wasting your time.

They will never let you go in most cases. You have to move on for yourself. My worst decision was trying to stick it out with a company that had no ground game.

If you are a W2 the company should be offering you resources. You should be able to do ride alongs. You should get some type of preferential treatment for chargebacks, same with advances. If you can't, just leave, you're wasting your time.
Wish I could say I was a W2, but alas, I’m a 1099.

How much time have you spent training?
What type of training have you been exposed to?
Just a week of class instruction, a couple weeks out in the field with a supervising agent, then out on my own. I’m licensed to do Life, health, and AD&D.

Just a week of class instruction, a couple weeks out in the field with a supervising agent, then out on my own. I’m licensed to do Life, health, and AD&D.

Get on line and so some research on selling Life insurance... there is a host of information to give you some direction that would help you.

Sounds like you're an independent agent. Are you getting a salary? You'll likely do better with a good imo or two.

Back