Filed a Claim Past 6 Month Period for CA - what to Do?

flickinger

Hi, 9 months ago, I got taken to the hospital for alcohol poisoning. I received a bill afterwards for the hospital visit, which I arranged for my insurance company, Kaiser, to take care of. I received some other pieces of mail regarding bills, but it all seemed like the same bill.

A month ago, however, I found out that there were two bills, and so I had only filed a claim for one of them. I filed a claim for the other bill afterwards, but it's now past the 6 month period where you can normally file a claim in California, so the claim has been rejected. They said that if there's "good cause" for a late submission, they'll accept it, but I don't know if me confusing two bills as one counts as good cause. What do you guys think I should do?

I don't have an insurance card, so yeah I probably didn't give anyone my insurance information until afterwards.

Well there you go.

What about your original post would cause you to give yourself a Thumbs Up? Makes you look sillier. Don't you know that's against the rules? :twitchy:

Re-submit the claim and ask for reconsideration due to not understanding it was two separate charges. They may (likely will) still deny.

Contact the CA Dept of Managed Healthcare as they regulate all HMO plans in CA including Kaiser. See if they can help you as they are the governing regulatory agency for your health plan.

https://www.dmhc.ca.gov/

Stopped reading after, "I was in the hospital with alcohol poisoning." Didn't you go to college?

Re-submit the claim and ask for reconsideration due to not understanding it was two separate charges. They may (likely will) still deny.

Contact the CA Dept of Managed Healthcare as they regulate all HMO plans in CA including Kaiser. See if they can help you as they are the governing regulatory agency for your health plan.

Thanks! I'll check them out.

Back