Filing a Claim

REHRAIDERS

I was in a small fender bender about 3 months ago the police report took over 2 months and I was found not at fault then I find through my insurance that the other person involved in the accident was not covered under the owner of the cars policy that hit me and they will not pay for the claim. My insurance tells me that I am covered for the repairs with my uninsured motorist coverage I only have liability so that was good news. the problem is I sold the car as is a month ago and no longer own it. Is there anyway I can get some compensation for the damage that was done to my car I sold it for a lot less because of the damage done in the accident.

Last edited:
I think this must be a troll post because I don't believe anyone would sell a car for less if there is possibility of an insurance claim. That would be a very stupid thing to do.

Last edited:
No I needed a car and I did not know who was going to be at fault it could have been my fault the money went to purchase the car I have now we are talking two months for the police report and only found out the other driver was not covered a week ago and the fact I was never told by my insurance that I had uninsured motorist coverage only knew I had liability.

No I needed a car and I did not know who was going to be at fault it could have been my fault the money went to purchase the car I have now we are talking two months for the police report and only found out the other driver was not covered a week ago and the fact I was never told by my insurance that I had uninsured motorist coverage only knew I had liability.

Who is your insurance company? Do you have an agent or is this one of the on line companies?

Dan should come along at some point and he might have direct experience with this, but I don't think you're trolling.

For what it's worth, your deductible still would have applied. Since the car has been sold I really doubt they'd pay out on it, but no reason to not file the claim. From what I'm told, in CA, filing the claim itself will have zero impact on your rates, so go for it. There are some arguments for diminished value, but that's usually more around the idea of the repair work got done and now the car is worth less because it has a salvaged title vs the car was already sold.

Thanks for your input I took a lot of pictures that I sent to AAA I think this would give them a good idea of what it would have cost me to repair my vehicle I figured I would have to pay the deductible that's not a problem I think I should get some kind of compensation because of the value of the car before the accident was a few thousand dollars more then what it was worth after the accident. thank you again

Thanks for your input I took a lot of pictures that I sent to AAA I think this would give them a good idea of what it would have cost me to repair my vehicle I figured I would have to pay the deductible that's not a problem I think I should get some kind of compensation because of the value of the car before the accident was a few thousand dollars more then what it was worth after the accident. thank you again

I"m confused.

"Small fender bender", "a few thousand dollars". You don't need to explain yourself to me, but any adjuster on their first day is going to wonder about this.

You did call them though? I wonder if they took notes of your call. Seems weird you would have called to file a claim and they wouldn't have done it or it seems weird that you wouldn't have even tried to make a claim. Stranger things have happened though :D

By selling the car, you probably limited your options on the claim value, but if you have decent pictures, you can probably get a decent estimate and they will use that.

Uninsured motorist property damaage coverage (UMPD) doesn't have a deductible. Not sure where that came from, but you can ignore any deductible statements. If you have collision insurance, this would be called deductible waiver.

But....

UMPD is hard to collect on. Sounds like you may very well have a good chance on this claim, but be prepared for it to be slow. Depends how much the other driver cooperates.

Also, keep in mind they will be cutting you a direct check for up to the limit of UMPD ($3500 in CA), not to exceed the estimated value of the repairs and based on using used parts. Just bear in mind, this will be a low value, but, at this point, its free money to you since you didn't know you had the coverage.

And yes, a few thousand dollars for a fender bender in CA is normal. Heck, I just had someone tap my Jaguar a couple of weeks ago, slight fender bender, estimate is over $3300. He was going maybe 3 MPH and already hitting the breaks..... it happens.

I got hit and the other driver "ran". I still had a deductible. That was NY though.

Back