Filing Claims Just a Few Days Before the End of Insurance

ukay1705

I had minor park lot incident while pulling my car out last week, I went to a body shop they quoted 1000$ to fix it. My current deductible is $500 and my insurance is ending on 05/09 with my current insurer. They increased my premium though I had no claims or tickets, so i switched to GEICO who gave me a much better price. So how should I go about fixing my car? Get it done now and file it with current insurer? or Wait till I move to GEICO and file it with them after 05/09?
I have a clean driving record for 3 years.

You must file it with your current insurer because the incident occurred during that policy period. Your Geico policy is not in force yet and therefore no coverage exists. Absolutely do not misrepresent the date of the incident as that is insurance fraud. One caveat, many online insurance companies don't fully underwrite their policies until after they are issued; so its likely the price you see will change. It's best to always have an agent.

You must file it with your current insurer because the incident occurred during that policy period. Your Geico policy is not in force yet and therefore no coverage exists. Absolutely do not misrepresent the date of the incident as that is insurance fraud. One caveat, many online insurance companies don't fully underwrite their policies until after they are issued; so its likely the price you see will change. It's best to always have an agent.

This is all correct. Couldn't have said it much better myself.

I had minor park lot incident while pulling my car out last week, I went to a body shop they quoted 1000$ to fix it. My current deductible is $500 and my insurance is ending on 05/09 with my current insurer. They increased my premium though I had no claims or tickets, so i switched to GEICO who gave me a much better price. So how should I go about fixing my car? Get it done now and file it with current insurer? or Wait till I move to GEICO and file it with them after 05/09? I have a clean driving record for 3 years.

So did you disclose this accident to geico? Will the premium increase if they haven't included it?

I had minor park lot incident while pulling my car out last week, I went to a body shop they quoted 1000$ to fix it. My current deductible is $500 and my insurance is ending on 05/09 with my current insurer. They increased my premium though I had no claims or tickets, so i switched to GEICO who gave me a much better price. So how should I go about fixing my car? Get it done now and file it with current insurer? or Wait till I move to GEICO and file it with them after 05/09?
I have a clean driving record for 3 years.

Good chance your premiums will go up by more than $500 over the years if you file.

Back