Final Expense Funny Happenings

Joe Moore

Guru
100+ Post Club
I know a lot of us on this thread "cut our teeth" in this business by running Final Expense leads. Just the nature of this market leads to a lot of odd, funny, embarrassing situations. I am sure there are some great ones out there that we have not encountered, but here are some of our best "oldies but goodies", from a few years back.

The top 10 I can think of right now:

1. My son Tim, was training my son Jeff to sell Final Expense. Tim was about 24, that would have made Jeff 20. They had a lead on a 82 year old lady and try as they might, they could not get the lady to stay on the subject of Life Insurance. After a few futile attempts at getting the lady to talk to them, Tim finally suggested that he had another appointment soon and if she wanted to discuss this subject, maybe they out to try it now.
After maybe 2 minutes of Final Expense discussion, the lady wanted to talk about how much money she could save by using grocery coupons, and started laughing and jabbering about this subject. Jeff, being very impatient, had heard enough; so he tried to use his logic to get back to the subject. It lasted about 30 seconds, so back to another off the wall subject.
He finally asked if she really wanted to discuss what they were there for. She started laughing, and said "Son, don't pay any attention to an old lady like me, I've lost my dam'n mind".
Jeff replied, "Yes ma'am, I think maybe you have". Tim hauled Jeff back home and told me that maybe Jeff should find another niche.

2. I sold a 70 year old lady a $10,000 policy. Everything went well for 6 months until her son found the policy with my card. The son calls me and lets me know that Mama needs her $10,000 much more now than waiting until her demise. I originally thought he was kidding, but when he started threatening me with the Insurance Commission for selling fraudulent products, I detected he was serious. I told him that we had no control over the money coming out of the policies, that he needed to call the company. It don't take all kinds, but we got 'em.

3. A friend of mine in North Carolina was running Final Expense Leads late and had one straggler in a remote area that he thought he had about enough time before dark to catch. He was up in the North Carolina mountains (yes retread, I think this was a good snipe hunting place) and when he got there he found no one home, he took an alternate route back to his car. He fell in a cistern up to his shoulders Cistern - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
He never figured out what the cistern was catching, but his wife said it did not smell like rainwater. He also pretty much ruined the interior of his car.

4. Tim & I were running leads in Knoxville, TN, knocked on a door and a very nice lady (65 or so) came to the door and said "let me have that card, I will be right back". We thought she had gone to get her husband, but thought something funny when she locked the door behind her. We waited about 10 minutes, knocked on her door again, she did not answer. We decided this was just her way of getting the card out of our hands, so we had no record of her. She not not put a telephone number on the card. We did not even remember her name.

5. Tim & I again. We had some leads in Johnson City, TN and I had talked to one of them, and scheduled an appointment for like 2 hours later at 1:00 in the afternoon. We arrived and knocked on the door. It was warm and the windows were open. We were not 20 feet from the dining table, and could see them sitting at the table eating lunch, ignoring us. We never got in this house to talk about what they had sent the lead card in about.

6. Tim & I again. Tim had talked to a man about 5 miles from our office, and asked if I would ride with him to talk to the man. Sure.
When we got there, the driveway led to the back door. We got out, knocked on the door with no answer. I walked out to the mailbox to see if we had the right address, yes we did.
I went back and knocked on the back door again and saw a fellow peeping at us from behind a petition at his house. About this time a car came flying in the driveway, blocking us in. The old fellow gets out of his car and asks, "Are you guys messing with him?". I explained what we were there for and the man in the house comes out and shows the neighbor that he had a pistol ready for us. The guy was 74 years old and had forgotten he had talked to Tim 15 minutes earlier. Now that he was reminded, he remembered and was ready to talk to us. We did not want to talk, we left.

7. Tim was training a bozo agent that had come from time-share sales. They knocked on a door at about 2:00 in the afternoon, a woman comes to the door with her hair flying, telling them she was interested, but had been asleep and was sick as a dog. Could they come back in a week or so?
Tim said sure. The new "expert in sales" agent started blaming Tim for not pushing his way into the home. His theory was that if the screen door was open, you put your leg in the door, so the client cannot close it. Then you are in. Tim came in complaining to me to never send him with this *** again. The new agent lasted about 2 weeks in the business. Tim has been in the business now over 20 years.

8. Another agent and I had made a telephone call and had an appointment with what we thought was a very nice lady. We pulled in the driveway which led (again) to the back of the house. Once we got stopped, here comes this guy with a cane screaming "get your damn ass out of here". I at first thought he was kidding, but when he ran down and slammed the car door in my face, I decided he was serious. The other agent starts telling me, "Get out of here, this damn guy has probably got a gun". There is nowhere to go but backwards, and the guy gets behind the car at first. I finally told him if he would move, I would gladly get the hell out of his place.
He finally moved, and followed us out, continually acting like he was going to smash our car in the front with his cane.

Once we got out of this mess and came to our senses, the other agent wanted to call them back. He told them they had broken our car window and we had called the sheriff's office to have the old man arrested. He may still be waiting and watching for the sheriff to show up.

9. We had an agent in West Tennessee that had moved back to West Tennessee from Atlanta. He called me and asked if I would supply him leads for Final Expense. I knew him, and was OK with the idea. This worked fine for about 3 months, we were buying the leads, he was running them, and we were both making money. Then we go through about a 3 week period of no business, so I call and get his wife. She explains "Jerry's in jail". I ask what for. "Child Support" from 5 years ago.
My next question was how long does he have to stay in jail.
She says, " Hell, I guess it's a life sentence, we don't have $31,000".
What had happened was that Jerry had made child support payments by money order for years, when they moved to West Tennessee, they threw the receipts away since they were all at least 5 years old. The ex-wife had taken a chance that that was what had happened, and filed non-paid child support charges against him.
Since he had no proof, she won, and had him put in jail. I gathered the leads and drove about 400 miles, stayed a week and sold about $4000 worth of final expense. I stopped by to see Jerry at his new home in jail, where he was a trustee; running errands for the sheriff, gardening around the courthouse, cutting grass, etc. He had the most beautiful pansies and petunias I have ever seen. He finally got out, and went on to be a Vice-President of an insurance company. I have not talked to Jerry in probably 8-10 years.

10. We had an in-house agent that would like to hang around the office drinking coffee until 11:00 or so, would drive about an hour to see his leads, then eat lunch. Then he would start calling on the leads from say 1:00-2:30. He would quit about 2:30 because he had to be back at a bar about 3:30, to meet his non-working buddies.
Constant complaints, he was not making any money. I tried to tell him to get his butt out of the office by 9:00, and be calling on clients around 10:00 at the latest. He found one still in bed at 10:00, so my idea was for the birds.
The last straw was when he came in and threw down about 40 leads on my desk, and said the damn leads were no good. I looked and he had called on only about 6 of them. Tim comes in and I show the leads to him. He took them and sold 9 policies from the "no good" leads.

These are just a few, I am sure I will think of more, and I am sure others will chime in on this thread. I have not seriously run leads in probably over 10 years, but still love to work in the field. You never know from day to day what is going to happen.

I cut my teeth with Bankers Life and Casualty, in 1979 I wrote a health policy on a 50 year old female whom I'll call Edith. About three months after the policy was issued the BLC state manager (Bruce) notified me of an Insurance Commission complaint. Bruce went with me to investigate the complaint.

We arrived, the lady seemed normal, but about 15 minutes into the interview she screamed, jumped from her chair, bodily slammed into a door, blasting it open, she came back into the room with the biggest pistol I've ever seen. She waived it in front of my face and exclaimed, "Get over there with him!" meaning Bruce. I said, "Come on, Edith." She got animated and shouted again, "I said, get over there with him." I said, "Yes mam."

I was standing behind a recliner, Bruce was seated, her husband (in his 80's) got up, reaching for the gun said, "Give me that thing." She gently pushing him back into his recliner, and said "You stay over there with them."

Bruce was pretty nervice, he asked if he could call BLC homeoffice in Chicago. She said that he better do something, that how whould he like to see two casualties? He proceded to call several times but could get no one to answer, I've thought over the years that he was so nervice he couldn't dial the number correctly. Finally he reached some VP over claims, told his story of being held up, upon this revelation the claims offical laughed at Bruce. Bruce then repeated the information of location, who was present, claimant, etc. then the official said, "You've got to be kidding!"

Well to make a long story short the Claims Official asked to speak to Edith, promission her the moon. The one thing that I will never forget was when Edith took the phone from Bruce to talk to the official she said, "How would you like to see three casualties?"

When we got to Bruce's car he asked, "Is there another way out of here, of do we have to drive back past her place?"

The muzzle on that hand gun looked huge. That's one story I'll never forget.

A friend of mine had been given a referral, he decided he'd do a drop in to see if they were home. He knocked on the door, a young kid opened the door, saw my friend in his suit, turned away and yelled "it's a raid", he heard the back door open and numerous people running from the house.

He did not hang around to explain who he was.

A friend of mine had been given a referral, he decided he'd do a drop in to see if they were home. He knocked on the door, a young kid opened the door, saw my friend in his suit, turned away and yelled "it's a raid", he heard the back door open and numerous people running from the house.

He did not hang around to explain who he was.

That's what you get when you wear a suit on an FE call, especially if it is a "drop-in" visit!:laugh:

That's what you get when you wear a suit on an FE call, especially if it is a "drop-in" visit!:laugh:

That reminds me of another one. A former Vice-President of a Pre-Need Insurance Co. and I were in the area of the "Moonshine Capitol of the World", L.A. Times looks at Cocke County : Local News : Knoxville News Sentinel

In suits, we had been to North Carolina (about 100 miles from home) where we had an appointment with a couple of Final Expense agents. We decided instead of coming back the Interstate, we would take the old back road. It was about 5:30 and we decide we will stop and get a beer. We pull into a "truck stop", where we were met by two, 22-25 year-old "waitresses" wearing bikinis. After serving us our beer, they both came over and asked us to scoot over so they could sit and talk with us. Hmmm....good looking young waitresses interested in 2 old farts like us.

About 10 minutes later the manager hits the scene, makes a motion to the girls, and they leave us fast. He walks over to our table and firmly invites us to leave immediately, saying he "knows who we are". I tried to explain we are just a couple of thirsty, tired, broke insurance peddlers... to no avail. We get up, pay our bill, forget to tip the girls and leave. I never have been back to this place.

We found out later he had to be paranoid because of our suits, they had been raided by the TBI the week before, and with our suits we were considered a possible follow-up. Talk about being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

</IMG>

Wrote a spousal application with a company on 7/13. This company let you draft the initial premium on a date up to 30 days out. They needed the draft to happen after 8/5.

I made a mistake and put 7/5 (before the date of application), but the company drafted as soon as the policy issued since 7/5 was prior to 7/13.

The client was furious and felt I took advantage of them. I offered to make it right and as soon as I got the call I told her I'd run the $98 over to her plus I asked her to call the bank and ask if anything had bounced.

I drove 1.5 hours to her house. I had a $100 bill already and other cash to cover NFS's if there were any. I drove up and she comes cussing and screaming out of the house to "Get your theiving ass off my property."

"I'm just here to give you the money that drafted so your not running tight... honest mistake of ONE digit."

"Get OUT of my sight"

She runs in the house screaming.

I take the $100 bill and put a small rock on it on the porch and go to the car.

As I'm leaving the drive I see her running behind me ripping the $100 to shreds.

I guess she never made a mistake in her life.

NOTE: Sorry...mine aren't really FE expense stories.

Back in my collecting a debit days....chasing and chasing for premiums to keep my arrears down. Figured Christmas Eve was a good time to catch one at home...sure enough they were. Problem is, he was drunk off of his ass and began to chew me out for being there. I left. I went back a few days later when it was safe...he was in jail.

Another debit collection...the lady paid me. Problem was, my several hundred dollar wad of money I had collected...I left it at her apartment. I realized it as I was driving around. She lived in a drug-infested apartment complex with several of the apartments infested with roaches. I'm thinking, I've lost all of my collections. I just know she'll make up some lie claiming she hasn't seen it. I was wrong...she handed it to me when I got there.

Had a man pull a gun on me when I stopped by to see him to try and write a med-supp. Needless to say I left without a sale. Guess he was tired of being hounded by insurance agents.

Had a lady I wrote a PDP plan on on the phone. She was a referral. I called her the other day to make sure her PDP was doing it's job. She asked me if I wrote life insurance..."yes I do." He's her nephew...24, in good health. I figure easy sell. I asked her if she had my phone number in case something comes up and she can't make it. "Yes"... Told her I'd be there at such and such a time. Drive 40 miles to see her....no one home. 80 mile round-trip for nothing! Left her my business card. LOL...haven't heard from her yet. Not even an..."I'm sorry for not being there."

Last edited:
NOTE: Sorry...mine aren't really FE expense stories.

Back in my collecting a debit days....chasing and chasing for premiums to keep my arrears down. Figured Christmas Eve was a good time to catch one at home...sure enough they were. Problem is, he was drunk off of his ass and began to chew me out for being there. I left. I went back a few days later when it was safe...he was in jail.

Another debit collection...the lady paid me. Problem was, my several hundred dollar wad of money I had collected...I left it at her apartment. I realized it as I was driving around. She lived in a drug-infested apartment complex with several of the apartments infested with roaches. I'm thinking, I've lost all of my collections. I just know she'll make up some lie claiming she hasn't seen it. I was wrong...she handed it to me when I got there.

Had a man pull a gun on me when I stopped by to see him to try and write a med-supp. Needless to say I left without a sale. Guess he was tired of being hounded by insurance agents.

Had a lady I wrote a PDP plan on on the phone. She was a referral. I called her the other day to make sure her PDP was doing it's job. She asked me if I wrote life insurance..."yes I do." He's her nephew...24, in good health. I figure easy sell. I asked her if she had my phone number in case something comes up and she can't make it. "Yes"... Told her I'd be there at such and such a time. Drive 40 miles to see her....no one home. 80 mile round-trip for nothing! Left her my business card. LOL...haven't heard from her yet. Not even an..."I'm sorry for not being there."

There are no stories like old debit stories. I'll never forget the overzealous fat lady that actually came into our office to pay her monthly premium-- she was one of my debit customers. I came into the office to pick up some supplies as she was telling our office girls that she wanted to pay two months of her premiums. When she saw me, she wheeled around and (in front of everyone) proclaimed that I could come to her house and she would pay me in person... The office snickered about that one for days...

About 15 years ago I used to be a captive agent with Mutual of Omaha. My manager told me I needed more life insurance production so he made an appointment for me to go and see a lady that wanted coverage. She was in her 30's. I went to her home met with her and her boyfriend who was probably in his late 40's. She made him the beneficiary. It was only a $25,000 policy. A couple weeks later I went into the office and everyone was quite (other agents, the receptionist, etc.) I asked what was going on. They said the police had called, the boyfriend had tried to kill the woman for the $25,000. She was in the hospital and had survived. The policy hadn't even been issued yet. I refused to sell life insurance for about 10 years after that.

About 15 years ago I used to be a captive agent with Mutual of Omaha. My manager told me I needed more life insurance production so he made an appointment for me to go and see a lady that wanted coverage. She was in her 30's. I went to her home met with her and her boyfriend who was probably in his late 40's. She made him the beneficiary. It was only a $25,000 policy. A couple weeks later I went into the office and everyone was quite (other agents, the receptionist, etc.) I asked what was going on. They said the police had called, the boyfriend had tried to kill the woman for the $25,000. She was in the hospital and had survived. The policy hadn't even been issued yet. I refused to sell life insurance for about 10 years after that.

There actually are people that will not buy life insurance because they are superstitious and believe that life insurance "jinxes" them. Obviously, there is some merit to this...

Back