Finding a Mentor/teacher

harold

Expert
In my 3 previous years in sales experience, I didnt find a manager/leader/mentor that showed me how to sell. For 2.5 years I felt like I was winging it, and luckily for me I was fortunate enough to find someone who really knew how to sell the product.

FYI, I was in the fitness industry selling gym memberships. A few key things I learned under my last manager...

Take control of the situation by leading the conversation and putting people at ease. Id use a loose script that went somehting like, "Hey guys my names Harold, Im gonna show you around today. Before we do that, I want to sit down and learn a little more about you, and then Ill answer any question you have." Followed by a "what brings you in today?" And from there I had a system I would follow that would guide the conversation, as well as a system for getting referrals once the sale was made.

What I really enjoyed about this was that the sale was more of a consultation. It was based on more than price and when someone spent a couple grand on training and a membership, I never once felt like I was taking advantage of them, best of all theyd leave saying thank you.

I had fairly great product knowledge about fitness, working out, and eating right. I love working out, its a passion of mine. Im not sure how much this had to do with my success but I know it helped a lot.

Cut to insurance, I dont quite have the passion for insurance that I do for working out, but I still love the aspect of having great knowledge (which I currently do not in insurance) and helping people. The problem is, I dont have that great manager to show me how to sell insurance. The biggest difference is that most of the time, people would come to me when selling fitness, I didnt have to prospect much, Id just get leads from walk ins and such. But fitness and insurance are both considered commodities, theyre both things people think about getting rid of during tough times, and theyre both intangible.

Ive been searching the boards for scripts and systems that will help me sell, but I cant find anything really geared towards P&C, its mostly life and health.

As for mentor figures, all I have are books and audio tapes, and while theyre great for motivation, they dont fix the little things. My last manager would watch my body language, role play with me, and give me advice on how to do things differently. This is what Im lacking right now, and its really starting to feel like Im dragging my tires.

I have a hard time motivating myself to go out and prospect but its mainly because I have no idea what to say or do.

The agency I work for has Travelers as one of our carriers. Theyre having a 3 week training course at the end of November for new producers (looks similar to what the Hartford School does). Im not sure of its gonna help, Im not even sure if theyre going to let me in to the program. Im just very uncertain right now and dont know who to turn to. Ive tried talking to the owner of the agency and he doesnt help much, I still have no idea how he brings in new business, though Im guessing its mainly referrals. I went back to the school I got my license from to see if I could get some help, but it seems like all theyre interested in doing is getting you to past the test (which is fine), but what about wanting to get more product knowledge.

I want to do this, but I know I cant do it alone. I need more product knowledge, and possibly some more patience.

A book I read earlier this year was Change or Die. The one thing I'll never forget about that book is a simple message that goes along the lines of if you want to get good at anything, you have to be willing to look like a fool until you get it down.

Anyways, not sure how cohesive this post is, I know everything here has probably been stated before, but maybe someone will surprise me. The biggest thing I need in my life right now is a mentor and Im having a hell of a time finding one.

My goals for the next year are to...

1. Find a mentor or teacher
2. Get more product knowledge.
3. Create some sort of system for selling insurance

Any word of advice on how to do it?

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
FYI, I was in the fitness industry selling gym memberships. A few key things I learned under my last manager...

12.+GordieHowe.jpg

Last edited:
In my 3 previous years in sales experience, I didnt find a manager/leader/mentor that showed me how to sell. For 2.5 years I felt like I was winging it, and luckily for me I was fortunate enough to find someone who really knew how to sell the product.

Take control of the situation by leading the conversation and putting people at ease. Id use a loose script that went somehting like, "Hey guys my names Harold, Im gonna show you around today. Before we do that, I want to sit down and learn a little more about you, and then Ill answer any question you have." Followed by a "what brings you in today?" And from there I had a system I would follow that would guide the conversation, as well as a system for getting referrals once the sale was made.

What I really enjoyed about this was that the sale was more of a consultation. It was based on more than price and when someone spent a couple grand on training and a membership, I never once felt like I was taking advantage of them, best of all theyd leave saying thank you.

I had fairly great product knowledge about fitness, working out, and eating right. I love working out, its a passion of mine. Im not sure how much this had to do with my success but I know it helped a lot.

Cut to insurance, I dont quite have the passion for insurance that I do for working out, but I still love the aspect of having great knowledge (which I currently do not in insurance) and helping people. The problem is, I dont have that great manager to show me how to sell insurance. The biggest difference is that most of the time, people would come to me when selling fitness, I didnt have to prospect much, Id just get leads from walk ins and such. But fitness and insurance are both considered commodities, theyre both things people think about getting rid of during tough times, and theyre both intangible.

Ive been searching the boards for scripts and systems that will help me sell, but I cant find anything really geared towards P&C, its mostly life and health.

As for mentor figures, all I have are books and audio tapes, and while theyre great for motivation, they dont fix the little things. My last manager would watch my body language, role play with me, and give me advice on how to do things differently. This is what Im lacking right now, and its really starting to feel like Im dragging my tires.

I have a hard time motivating myself to go out and prospect but its mainly because I have no idea what to say or do.

The agency I work for has Travelers as one of our carriers. Theyre having a 3 week training course at the end of November for new producers (looks similar to what the Hartford School does). Im not sure of its gonna help, Im not even sure if theyre going to let me in to the program. Im just very uncertain right now and dont know who to turn to. Ive tried talking to the owner of the agency and he doesnt help much, I still have no idea how he brings in new business, though Im guessing its mainly referrals. I went back to the school I got my license from to see if I could get some help, but it seems like all theyre interested in doing is getting you to past the test (which is fine), but what about wanting to get more product knowledge.

I want to do this, but I know I cant do it alone. I need more product knowledge, and possibly some more patience.

A book I read earlier this year was Change or Die. The one thing I'll never forget about that book is a simple message that goes along the lines of if you want to get good at anything, you have to be willing to look like a fool until you get it down.

Anyways, not sure how cohesive this post is, I know everything here has probably been stated before, but maybe someone will surprise me. The biggest thing I need in my life right now is a mentor and Im having a hell of a time finding one.

My goals for the next year are to...

1. Find a mentor or teacher
2. Get more product knowledge.
3. Create some sort of system for selling insurance

Any word of advice on how to do it?

Thanks for reading.

Unfortunately, your request will be greeted largely with a bunch of silliness, some of which you've already seen. The great majority of folks here are just sour old incontinent windbags who have nothing to offer but petty responses, the same old posters posting the same old useless diatribe.......the fact they go out of their way and take such time to respond in such manners is of itself an indication there's a sizeable gap between their perception and reality....they aren't as successful as they think they are....or as they want you to think they are, and successful men don't respond in such juvenile ways as they do....so prepare yourself for an avalanche of silly responses.

FWIW, you seem to be a much better fit for Life and Health than P and C.....why start with P and C.........L and H will do a much better job of generating immediate income.......whereas P and C will do better with renewals.

Thats just a thought........I, like you, come to the insurance business from another field (real estate) where I was a paid consultant....if you want to exchange ideas off-site, feel free.

BTW, I think your approach used in fitness would work reallyk with L and H, with a tweak here or there.

I can train you how to sell. All I read is sales books combined with a wealth of sales experience. I love sales. My closing ratio on appointments is about 80%. Now all the windbags may post.

By the way I concur with Acting Boss regarding Life and Health vs. P & C.

Consider the following....

It takes just as much work to find a client either way so...

Let's say you get a life policy for $100 month and starting out
you were on a 85% contract

100 x 12= $1200 ..... 1200 x .85= $1020 75% advance = $765 so you made
$1020 but you will get $765 immediately.

On the contrast lets say you got 100 a month home owners policy

100 x 12= 1200 average around 13-15% on p & c 1200 x .85= $180

Now which would you prefer? Making 2 sales a week and making over $1400 or
two sales a week and making less than $400. Yes renewals eventually pay you
very well in p & c but up front life is the way 2 go!!!!

In the last month I have done $35,000 in life premium now
go figure the advance off that with a 110% contract.

Last edited:
I was trained by a Rick when I 1st got in the business too he
was a SRVP @ Primerica and although I am not a huge PFS fan that country boy could sell!!!!!!!!! He still makes about 400k @ pfs and uses this whole good ole boy act to pull you in.

His son Ryan who is 30 makes 250k and left pfs try and make more than that. I was like man I bet dad misses his over ride.

I can train you how to sell. All I read is sales books combined with a wealth of sales experience. I love sales. My closing ratio on appointments is about 80%. Now all the windbags may post.

By the way I concur with Acting Boss regarding Life and Health vs. P & C.

Consider the following....

It takes just as much work to find a client either way so...

Let's say you get a life policy for $100 month and starting out
you were on a 85% contract

100 x 12= $1200 ..... 1200 x .85= $1020 75% advance = $765 so you made
$1020 but you will get $765 immediately.

On the contrast lets say you got 100 a month home owners policy

100 x 12= 1200 average around 13-15% on p & c 1200 x .85= $180

Now which would you prefer? Making 2 sales a week and making over $1400 or
two sales a week and making less than $400. Yes renewals eventually pay you
very well in p & c but up front life is the way 2 go!!!!

In the last month I have done $35,000 in life premium now
go figure the advance off that with a 110% contract.

I'm the poster in reverse........I need to get my P and C now, also....just as another wedge.

Back