Finding & Hiring Good Sales People

RayGroupInsurance

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Utah
I love this business and I am doing o.k. as far as monthly sales go. I want to get another person selling for me and I have been trying to hire someone for the last 2 months and have gotten nowhere.

What do you do when your trying to find a new sales person? Do you prefer someone that is already licensed and has experience selling insurance? Or do you go for someone new that has no bad habits yet and is full of energy? Where do you look/post ads for new staff?

I have tried craigslist but not had much success. Thanks.

I love this business and I am doing o.k. as far as monthly sales go. I want to get another person selling for me and I have been trying to hire someone for the last 2 months and have gotten nowhere.

What do you do when your trying to find a new sales person? Do you prefer someone that is already licensed and has experience selling insurance? Or do you go for someone new that has no bad habits yet and is full of energy? Where do you look/post ads for new staff?

I have tried craigslist but not had much success. Thanks.

Gee I wished you hadn't said craigslist I just posted a couple of ads yesterday. It's hard to find new insurance sales people, but when I do I try to find someone new to the business or least someone who hasn't hit every agency just to get the first few months training salary and then move on to the next. I don't even bother with this type.
You might try to run your ad and mentioned hiring part time homemakers or housewifes and offer to pay for llicensing, you might get two or three. Good luck.

Where do you live? See if any churches in your area have a job seeking ministry.

We have two or three telemarketing centers in our town. I have met a few people who work there and have thought that one might find out who the top producing people are in the center and see if you could recruit them. They may have no license but they are use to cold calling and selling. Just a thought. Has anyone ever tried this? You can also subscribe to something like Career Builder and call those people who have posted resumes who might seem to be a fit.

Of course, one could always do the fall back position and go to Walmart and recruit well dressed people as some MLM outfits have!:D

You might also check with local colleges, there are a lot of promising students who might be having a hard time finding jobs these days...

Of course, one could always do the fall back position and go to Walmart and recruit well dressed people as some MLM outfits have!:D

lol, I was just "recruited" last month by someone from world financial group at Wal-Mart. I was in the office supply section, wearing my shirt and tie when this guy comes up to me and says "you're dressed very nicely, what do you do for a living?"

I was actually thinking about going to Nordstroms or some local banks and trying to recruit people from those places.

Hey,
no matter who you hire, rookie or not, insurance sales comes down to training and leads.

I'm training an agency that was pretty successful with great exclusive leads. After four weeks of training (3 conference calls a week) they saw a 25% increase in sales. An agent went from a high of two sales in a week to 7 last week and as of yesterday he had 6 already this week.

Remember this: Good leads and bad training or good training and bad leads = failure

I post in my local newspaper on Sundays job wanted. Heres the part that I think allows me to recruit good prospects. I tell them the TRUTH about the business briefly. I'm not looking to throw people at the wall and see what sticks. I'm looking for people who want to engage in a lifestyle. A lifestyle that is commission based sales, where marketing is a must, and becoming a community icon is mandatory. And I never say "You can make a unlimited income!" I'll leave that for the Aflac's of the world. lol

The real issue is, even the candidates who truly believe they'll succeed don't know. This is not a corporate desk job and there's a lot of moving parts.

You could say that you won't bring anyone into the business who doesn't have any money. But then you'd miss people will a lot of drive and ambition to get back on their feet.

You hire fiancially secure people and you'll find those who "half-ass" it since they don't need a check next week.

I hate to say it comes down to mass hiring...but close. I do believe I read on other posts a while back about a test some agencies give? Anyone remembe the name of that test?

Back