Finding IMO's

FutureForbes

Expert
New Agent here. Not with an IMO yet, which leads me to my question. How does one find an IMO. Basically I am licensed in Mass, and this week looking to to obtain a CT, RI, and Maybe even NH Licenses, too. All Life Licenses.

How do you find an IMO do you just contact a carrier and they send you to the nearest IMO, or do you google search for Lead Programs. I know in Massachusetts of you go on CraigsList, Lincoln Heritage is basically every other ad in the Sales Jobs Section, then you have guys who say "MORE LEADS THEN AGENTS- JOIN NOW" or something like that.

Just curious how to go about doing this.

New Agent here. Not with an IMO yet, which leads me to my question. How does one find an IMO. Basically I am licensed in Mass, and this week looking to to obtain a CT, RI, and Maybe even NH Licenses, too. All Life Licenses.

How do you find an IMO do you just contact a carrier and they send you to the nearest IMO, or do you google search for Lead Programs. I know in Massachusetts of you go on CraigsList, Lincoln Heritage is basically every other ad in the Sales Jobs Section, then you have guys who say "MORE LEADS THEN AGENTS- JOIN NOW" or something like that.

Just curious how to go about doing this.
Do a search of several threads on the forum...You will get an idea of what IMOs are active here and what they have to offer....You might be able to make a decision. You mention Lincoln Heritage. They are in the FE segment of the business.. Is that what you want to specialize in? If so why? BTW, Craig's list is the last place I would look to find someone to work with. :)

Do a search of several threads on the forum...You will get an idea of what IMOs are active here and what they have to offer....You might be able to make a decision. You mention Lincoln Heritage. They are in the FE segment of the business.. Is that what you want to specialize in? If so why? BTW, Craig's list is the last place I would look to find someone to work with. :)

Thanks for the feedback. You know.. it funny because after my license was activated a went to a networking gathering to basically just talk to people. One guy told me that I could become a broker with his firm and basically work with any carrier and represent the client and there best interest. So am assuming he was an Independent IMO or MGA to had contracts with many carriers. He Mentioned "One America."

And on Final Expense, I don't know if that is what specifically I am gonna specialize in but, I just knew from browsing craigslist that in my area at least Lincoln heritage is legit every posting legit probably at least 4 times a day, I mean it is legit like every 5 or six ads will be them. I think I have seen them on careerbuilder, too. Not to say I am joining them, just saying I see the name everywhere.

But the funny thing was the same Gentleman, also told me, and it probably depends on the agent, that Final Expense is basically the customer looking for the cheapest policy they can find.

I believe that the best thing for you is to find a mentor. You need to figure out what type of life insurance you want to sell. An option to get experience is to work with a carrier agency like Mass Mutual or NYL. I would stay away from LH or a multilevel agency. Do some research in this forum. Good luck.

I believe that the best thing for you is to find a mentor. You need to figure out what type of life insurance you want to sell. An option to get experience is to work with a carrier agency like Mass Mutual or NYL. I would stay away from LH or a multilevel agency. Do some research in this forum. Good luck.

Thank you for the advice,

I know about the MLM, I have been getting the Primerica calls for years. At least in Mass, don't know about other states, but here some of the Products like Variable Products and Annuities require a Series 7 License, too. Which right now I am not going to get. Some, not all, but some require you to get it. That is why I was look at the Single product, Independent Agent route. Some of these carriers require multiple license lines because they want there Agents to be able to handle all the products they sell.

You don’t have to get the securities license, at least right away. I’m sure with NYL you don’t. It is very important to get proper training and mentoring because it does not help that you have a license and don’t have a system to follow. Also in this business it is important to have good reserves. You need to decide if you will do regular life ins. or FE. For fast revenue I would look at Final Expense with some of the FMOs/IMOs here that PROVIDE you training and show you a system.

You don’t have to get the securities license, at least right away. I’m sure with NYL you don’t. It is very important to get proper training and mentoring because it does not help that you have a license and don’t have a system to follow. Also in this business it is important to have good reserves. You need to decide if you will do regular life ins. or FE. For fast revenue I would look at Final Expense with some of the FMOs/IMOs here that PROVIDE you training and show you a system.

gatcha thanks again.

Feel free to give me a call. We have one of our top agents who produced over $46K last month in personal production who is right next door to you in RI who would be game to help you out.

Back