Finding personal dental insurance

fedvp

Expert
USA
Where can i find personal dental insurance especially low cost personal dental insurance? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

As my dentist said, floss and brush regularly. That is the best dental "insurance".

There are pleny of low cost dental discount plans and dental insurance plans. The challenge is finding one worth the premium.

I have found that dental insurance is (at best) trading dollars or (at worst) a ripoff.

There are low cost dentists that eschew insurance and give big discounts for cash.

There are also dental colleges that provide low cost dental services.

I bought the Manhattan ( CUL ) $1500 plan on my wife. It is the only plan I know of that gives you a pool of money that can be spent on Dental, Vision and Hearing.. Most of them have lesser benefits for vision and none for hearing.

I have found that dental insurance is (at best) trading dollars or (at worst) a ripoff.

On the trading dollars end of things, do you think it still comes out bad if you factor in the charge reduction for the network of your carrier?

Depending on where you live, generally less than 15% of dentists participate in networks. Those figures were for metro. Rural areas are significantly lower.

Even plans that don't have networks typically cover around 40 - 60% of the cost of routine care and, if you are lucky, about 30% of major work.

I had a chance to start doing my looking. current situation starting point:

Our current plan is a Preferred Delta Dental QB + 1.

Our current dentist is a network member and has been so for many years. At the moment anyway, with his skill at fillings and his cnc crown machine, we are unlikely to change as long as he stays in business.

With just a quick scan, I would say that all the local dentists (maybe 5-6) I have used in the last 30 years are members of the Delta network.

$50 Ded per person per year, 1000 cap per person.

In below, incentive requires 1 cleaning per year. 12 mo wait for new enrollees, 90 days after cleaning for eligibility.

Preventive 100%-not subject to deductible or maximum.
Basic service at incentive level-80%
Major service at incentive level-50%

$48.44 / mo active employee, $49.41 / mo on Cobra -as we are now.

I can't remember specifics; but non-group, non-cobra, individual plan will drop benefit levels and increase costs. (However since we are current Delta insureds and have been for many years, there should be no waiting periods for anything.)

Apparently our group and network situation is better than that in many other places.

Last edited:
Where can i find personal dental insurance especially low cost personal dental insurance? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Your first post says you are an insurance agent with covered California.

Is there a problem with the dhmo's you represent?

The best insurance policy is buy direct from the carrier (i.e., I don't want to be my own agent) early enough to get your effective date before the appointment, go in and get the teeth cleaned for you, the wife, and the kids, and then cancel your dental policy for the next 5-6 months.

Rinse and repeat.

Just make sure when you cancel, and the nice lady on the phone says, "Ok, we can do that - you're still in the free look period and we can refund your premium," Say, no, cancelled effective today... (you need coverage during the date of service and that's it.. why pay for 365 days of insurance when you need 2 days?)

^ Yes, I've done this several times.

It won't work when we need major stuff done... but I'm still in my early 30's and have never even had a cavity, and neither has my wife, so we'll take our chances. I'm not paying close to $1,000/yr or more for dental insurance for the family.

The best insurance policy is buy direct from the carrier (i.e., I don't want to be my own agent) early enough to get your effective date before the appointment, go in and get the teeth cleaned for you, the wife, and the kids, and then cancel your dental policy for the next 5-6 months.

Rinse and repeat.

Just make sure when you cancel, and the nice lady on the phone says, "Ok, we can do that - you're still in the free look period and we can refund your premium," Say, no, cancelled effective today... (you need coverage during the date of service and that's it.. why pay for 365 days of insurance when you need 2 days?)

^ Yes, I've done this several times.

It won't work when we need major stuff done... but I'm still in my early 30's and have never even had a cavity, and neither has my wife, so we'll take our chances. I'm not paying close to $1,000/yr or more for dental insurance for the family.
wow, and you're an insurance agent? early 30's and know's how to beat the insurance companies out of a few hundred bucks. i'm curious do you teach those in your training videos or just to your clients?

Back