fire department???

NCAgent828

Super Genius
Hello all,
Because i am a newer agent i do have questions in regards to shady agents. A competitor is cancelling the insurance policy of someone i am quoting and they have the incorrect mileage to the fire department. they have 6 miles but clearly a google maps search is 9.5. When i quote i am going to probably be higher due to that.

My question is if they have a claim and the information is inaccurate, will they have trouble out of the insurance company for this or will the agent be responsible for this error? I want to make sure i have the right info when i am discussing with client. I am in NC

I doubt there would be any real E&O exposure for the agent that has it rated incorrectly. Hopefully, the company they are placing the risk with will underwrite the policy and figure out the the protection class code is indeed incorrect, and re-rate it.

Oh ok, i gotcha. That's what i thought might happen but wanted to make sure i addressed it correctly.

6 miles or 9, I doubt the PC would actually change. It doesn't actually matter that much. This is a risk that a carrier typically won't entertain, thus the cancellation of the current policy. 5 miles is normally the limit. This typically takes a modified form, like American modern, or E&S. Yes, you will come in much h higher than any standard carrier - there's no getting around that, but it's the only way. Just answer all application question honestly and carry on.
Also, it doesn't hurt to double check as Google may not be up to date. There are parts of your area that, while quite remote, have quite new equipment and fire stations. The prior agents info could possibly be correct, unless you simply know otherwise.

6 miles or 9, I doubt the PC would actually change. It doesn't actually matter that much. This is a risk that a carrier typically won't entertain, thus the cancellation of the current policy. 5 miles is normally the limit. This typically takes a modified form, like American modern, or E&S. Yes, you will come in much h higher than any standard carrier - there's no getting around that, but it's the only way. Just answer all application question honestly and carry on.
Also, it doesn't hurt to double check as Google may not be up to date. There are parts of your area that, while quite remote, have quite new equipment and fire stations. The prior agents info could possibly be correct, unless you simply know otherwise.
Thanks for your response! They currently have Farm Bureau and are being cancelled because it’s a log home not because of protection class unfortunately.

A lot of carriers also pull the PC, responding fire station and distance themselves. Just because you put it in EZLynx doesn't mean that is the number that gets used to bind.

As to being a log home, where are you planning to put that, pretty sure that is a no go with everyone.

Oh ok. I got a rate but may have defaulted to Frame instead of true log home. I’ll review to make sure.

Back