First day cold calling a FLOP

jody108

Guru
100+ Post Club
I need a pep talk ...

I have put everything on the line to be an insurance agent.

Got all my ducks in a row ... ready to take on the world ...

however, i got nowhere today during my first day of calling up Seniors to sell them med sups.

My family is depending on me to do well at this so I need a pick me up ... if you can offer one ...:no:

Got all my ducks in a row ... ready to take on the world ...

however, i got nowhere today during my first day of calling up Seniors to sell them med sups.

My family is depending on me to do well at this so I need a pick me up ... if you can offer one ...:no:

Get your ducks re-arranged!

If it was as easy as just calling people up, everyone and anyone would do it. Cold calling is just not very effective.

You need a marketing plan.

Do some seminars, find some senior groups that you can speak to, find another agent that does complimentary things, do some unique direct mail.

Find a way to see people on a favorable basis.

I need a pep talk ... I have put everything on the line to be an insurance agent. Got all my ducks in a row ... ready to take on the world ...however, i got nowhere today during my first day of calling up Seniors to sell them med sups.My family is depending on me to do well at this so I need a pick me up ... if you can offer one ...:no:

I agree with others in that you probably need to come up with a marketing plan, someway to generate leads. However, I would also add that the more one works at any type of calling including cold calling the better one gets. Most of us are usually not very good at the start. If you cold call you need develop a good workable script and need to stick with it. On this subject read Bill Good.

?How may calls did you make?
Has your script been evaluated by a pro?
How did you determine it was a great idea to sell Med Sup over the phone?

Last edited:
ALG - I'm from Georgia ... ;) Atlanta ...

I made about 50 calls. My script was written by a pro but I don't sound like a pro ...

I sound very young and this seems to go against me ...

I did get one LTC interest and I'm going to deliver some information to her ... I'm hoping for an appt out of it.

Do you not cold call for Med Supp?

How long did it take to make 50 calls?

While cold calling may not be the preferred marketing choice of many, it works for some agents.

Have you internalized the script and made it your own? You may just need more practice with it.

50 calls is a very small sample. You should be able to make 25 calls an hour. Stop goofing off between calls and crank for an hour non-stop, then get up and clear you head for five minutes.

When you get someone on the phone, you should set the appointment and be off the phone in five minutes. Stop trying to be their friend and waxing about Alabama. You're a busy agent on a mission to avoid living in the van down by the river.

Set a new goal -- 200 dials a day.

Back