First Offender Applying for Ga License

Check with your states law on expungements. I know some states let you expunge misdemeanors. Not sure on felonies. Most carrier applications will ask you to provide a written explanation. You may be in for a tough haul. In the worst case, If your the entrepreneurial type and creative you may still have a future in some other business though. I have a friend who on a whim boosted a car in his younger years, served time with a felony conviction and now reformed, runs a very successful car dealership! How'd he do that? He got married and started the business in his wife's name! Good luck!

Yeah he definitely had to make sure he's was a good husband didn't he? He's retired and his sons are taking over the reigns now so it worked out good for him! I still believe the American Dream can be had by anyone if you work hard enough and smart enough! Even for reformed ex felons!

First, you have to disclose it. Otherwise the penalty, maybe 5 year ban. The DOI makes the FBI, look like mayberry, PD, You will have to get court certified papers. Jump thru a few more hurdles.But you should be able to get your license.

Life and Health

All right, so I already did my 40 hour course and this previous Saturday, passed my examination. My question is:

Am I going to run into problems with State Background checks and Individual Background checks for appointments? I have a First offender, drug related felony about 7 years ago. (Wrong place, Wrong time)

If it helps any, I've already paid fora Georgia Background check, off of the GBI website. It came back clean, I purchased 2 of them to be sure. I also purchased one from my local Sheriff's department, which also came back clean.

Anyone else in a situation or 'was in' a situation like this? I've came a long way and would like to do something with my life but this is always on the back of my mind. It's permanent punishment.

Just wanted to say congrats on passing the exam and for trying to better your life. Best of luck to you.

Great idea!!! What happens when she dumps his sorry behind???

Since our GOV. really doesn't want anyone to "Reform and get back on the right track"----He's goes back to the biz he knows that can put food on the table ---ie CRIME.

WHILE WORKING ON MY SOCIOLOGY degree, i got a chance to see this crap first hand working at a Recidivism prevention Non-profit. Our job was to try and help x-cons re-enter the system from Prison. NOT GOOD. After awhile i abandoned the job IN frustration as i saw the "the wizard behind the curtain----Big Brother and CIC (criminal industrial complex).

"Criminal Industrial Complex" (CIC: system of gov.workers, judges, clerks, Police officers, probation officers, data information services, parole officers, prison building companies, guards, uniform supplies, weapons contractors who sell supplies to the PD, private criminal lawyers, private investigators)----ITS GREAT!

But if you are some poor smuck who happens to get off on the wrong foot (or in wrong place at wrong time) you get the shaft. ----ITS A BEAUTIFUL SYSTEM!

UNFORTUNATELY those who look down upon Felons (most felon's are in for small time drug possession and personal drug use---i think the figure was 75%), help perpetuate the system. (Not to mention the Lobbyist who represent Prison building contractors, weapons sellers, etc. who WANT to see more ppl in jail----and why not. Look at how much money we are talking about).

AS A RESULT, these Ex-cons go out and commit crimes against Citizens by necessity---and they Escalate.

FELONS go to PRISON COLLEGE. They get out and finding "closed doors" everywhere they turn, by necessity must go back to life they know where they can make a buck---CRIME. Only this time....they are PISSED. (you keep kicking a dog...and sooner or later they bite your arse ---or someone you love).

Hope none of your Friends or Loved ones Get caught up in this system (you'll be bucking out 10's of thousands or more) to help their Arses.

"...in the USA you get as much justice as you can afford!"
~famous lawyer quote

OP
I doubt you will be turned down for a drug conviction. If it was financial crime, then i would say worry. You might have to go before the Board, and let meet you and convince them....but it probably won't even go this far.

As moonlight said, the system feeds off itself. it grinds and spits out offenders. Only to make it hard for them to succeed. And yes, how much justice can you afford!

I would suspect you will be ok. I had a few issues that I was worried about when I tried to get licensed. The main thing was back child support and several tax liens due to owing the IRS a nice chunk of change (think Corvette size--or two).

With that said, I did have to jump thru some hoops and submit alot of paperwork but in the end, I got my license.

You can do the same, I'm sure.

JUST MAKE SURE YOU ARE 100% HONEST ON THE APPLICATION! No need to give them a reason to shoot you down. Honesty is the best policy!

Good luck my friend!!

Latest posts

Back