First Sale as an Independent!

joshril

Guru
1000 Post Club
Made my first sale as an independent agent today... My last day with my current employer will be December 13th. I can't wait to devote all my attention to this... Nice sale too.. $5040 AV health... and a $1344 life premium...

joshril said:
Made my first sale as an independent agent today... My last day with my current employer will be December 13th. I can't wait to devote all my attention to this... Nice sale too.. $5040 AV health... and a $1344 life premium...

That is GREAT!!!

Hope you have many many more days just like that. Makes one feel good doesn't it! :D

Congratulations! It sounds like you have some exciting times ahead!

Don't be too dissappointed if you struggle a little bit on December 14th because you are hitting this right at the toughest time to secure appointments with Christmas shopping, etc. Also be ready to overcome the most common objection - "this sounds good, but I need to wait until after Christmas because I just can't spend any more money right now with all the shopping I have to do."

joshril said:

Great job Joshril,

That has to feel good, especially just before Christmas:)

flatfive said:
Congratulations! It sounds like you have some exciting times ahead!

Don't be too dissappointed if you struggle a little bit on December 14th because you are hitting this right at the toughest time to secure appointments with Christmas shopping, etc. Also be ready to overcome the most common objection - "this sounds good, but I need to wait until after Christmas because I just can't spend any more money right now with all the shopping I have to do."

Flatfive,

How would you overcome that objection? I'm sure we'll all be hearing it. Any suggestions from others on how to deal with it?

dvd493 said:
How would you overcome that objection? I'm sure we'll all be hearing it. Any suggestions from others on how to deal with it?

come on dvd ....we have 2 people that were at the conf........

dvd493 said:

come on dvd ....we have 2 people that were at the conf........

Sti,

I read what those 2 wrote. Angry people make good conversation difficult. Thats why I didn't reply.

I did like your post on the 40 for your homies though. I have to admit that made me laugh.

dvd493 said:
Sti,
I read what those 2 wrote. Angry people make good conversation difficult. Thats why I didn't reply.
I did like your post on the 40 for your homies though. I have to admit that made me laugh.

maybe I should buy you lunch.....

cafe_denile.JPG

Well again, I'm not one of those guys that would preface this with "it works like a charm" or "it'll get um every time", but here are a few basic ideas that should get you on the right track. First of all this assumes you've already done your job of making sure the price on the table is one they have said they are comfortable with. Otherwise that objection might just be their way of saying this costs too much, they don't trust you, they have another guy coming tomorrow, their favorite show comes on in 5 minutes, etc., etc. Never waste your time overcoming an objection until you are sure you are down to the true underlying objection. The more times you make them say no, the better they are going to get at it!

First of all, whenever I'm going to come back around to asking them buy again, I do a little mini warm up again so I am building on some positive energy. So...

Agent: That's okay, I'll just have Christmas moved to March - will that help? (hopefully you get a little chuckle from some little joke like that).

Client: Yeah, that would help alright!

Agent: Well I can't do that, but I do have a few ideas. It would be good if we can find a way to get this done so long as you are comfortable with it and it doesn't eat into your Christmas budget. So if you didn't have to pay the first month's premium until sometime in January, that would work for you?

Client: Well yeah, I guess so.

Now you have some options on how to delay payment but still get the app. I don't know of anyone who does COD anymore, but that was always a pretty weak close anyway.

1. Okay, then let's just get everything completed and I won't send it in until January 1, but at least we don't have to try to find a time to meet again just to finish this little bit of paperwork that we can do right now while I'm already here. Now just be quiet and wait for them to say okay.

If they object to that, like "I don't know, if that got sent in by accident I'd have a big problem." Then:

2. I can understand that. Just to be sure then, let's leave out your SSN and Driver's License number because that way even if it somehow jumped into my mailbox the insurance company would send it right back because they can't even process it without that information. I'll just call you for that info in January. If they are hesitant at this point, just add - If you change your mind, you can just tell me at that time or treat me like an insurance salesman and just not answer my calls. (chuckly again hopefull).

That last little bit lets them know they are in control and can still change their mind. That might sound like a weak close, but the goal is to get a signed app to make it extremely difficult for anyone else to come in behind you and sell them.

If they are resistant to all of that you probably missed the real problem somewhere along the way. It's real easy to figure out what you missed - it costs too much! If you quoted $80.00 and you hit this wall, confirm that it's money by saying something like "look, if you aren't sure that $80 works for you, let's back up a second. Do you want to see what a plan looks like for $40 or $60? We need to change a few things but the important part is that you get what you feel you can handle.

This is a topic that can go on forever, so I'll just stop there and see if that's helpful or if you have comments.

Back