First Speeding Ticket...cop Was Generous with the "estimated" Mph

driver514

I received a ticket today for going 45 in a 25. I acknowledge that I definitely wasn't going 25, but as soon as he put his lights on to pull me over I took a look at my speedometer and noticed it was around 35. I was given a ticket for going 45.

This is my first speeding ticket (other than a seatbelt violation, the only ticket) since I've started driving, about 10 years ago. I was in an at fault accident last year, although my "accident forgiveness" kicked in since this was my first at fault accident so my insurance never increased.

I suspect that won't be the case this time. My question is...is there any difference in insurance if the mph was reduced to 35 instead of 45? Is it worth it to go to court and contest this or will it not make any difference? I don't think I have a good argument for not speeding at all, and it appears the radar gun said 45, but I definitely wasn't going 45. He checked off "radar" "estimated" and "posted" on my ticket. I live in Massachuestts, so I'm expecting my rates to jump probably 15-20%. I also fear Liberty Mutual will take this opportunity to tack on some extra for the accident that was supposed to have been "forgiven" last year.

Last edited:
That sounds like a $ 300 ticket. Is my math about right?

https://sudbury.ma.us/police/faq/how-do-i-calculate-my-speeding-ticket/

If that's the case see if you can find an attorney that specializes in speeding tickets and see if their rate to fight it is cheaper than the fine. Once you know that factor in the costs associated to the rate increase and see which option is lower.

I personally have had great luck with tickets and lawyers.

The ticket was actually $205, but factoring in insurance over the next 6 years and assuming I don't get into any accidents or issued other tickets, could essentially end up costing $2,000+.

Last edited:
The ticket was actually $205, but factoring in insurance over the next 6 years and assuming I don't get into any accidents or issued other tickets, could essentially end up costing $2,000+.

You are assuming your insurance company will run your MVR which likely will not happen unless you give them reason to like having an accident.

It is very costly for insurers to run MVRs on their inforce business.

I would "fight" the ticket and try to get a deal with the prosecutor for something lesser that does not involve points. You don't need an attorney for this, but having one will likely increase the odds of a best possible deal.

Don't they check this every year when the policy renews? I mean...they have to check it eventually at some point even if I get dinged for this 5 years from now...

I personally have had great luck with tickets and lawyers.

It's been a while since I've needed one, but same here. Give the attorney some money, pay what amounts to a parking ticket, and then it's like it never happened.

It would be 'interesting' if there were a policy/plan that would cover such occurrences ???

Where..."an attorney that specializes....."
would "fight it is cheaper than the fine"

and "factoring in insurance over the next 6 years and assuming I don't get into any accidents or issued other tickets, could essentially end up costing $2,000+.

Some might say 'if' one had such a 'coverage' plan for say $19.95/mo
for an entire family it might be worth it to...

""fight" the ticket and try to get a deal with the prosecutor for something lesser that does not involve points....

(And while) You don't need an attorney for this, but having one will likely increase the odds of a best possible deal."

(Wow!!! That sounds like a company brochure)

Based upon that alone, some might think it'd be a good idea to offer such coverage,
especially considering all the other things having access to a closed network of lawyers might lend itself to
(sort of like a legal HMO).

Maybe somebody should create such a service....where
Wills
POA's (with financial and medical directives)
Contract reviews
Motor Vehicle Representation
Uncontested Divorces (of over 90% in America are)
are are covered by a policy/plan....

Funny how many insurances agents don't offer their clients such a plan...because 'they' are too smart to realize it's just a policy/plan just like many others they sell.

Although, 25% of the states in the union require the same license to sell it as they do the other policies/plans they hawk....better coverage than a whole lot of other 'insurance' offerings.

But hey, I just look to ease a pain for my clients....
and of course get paid now and later (they call it residual income)...others got their insurance licenses for loftier goals, than I.
when compared to taking the lower odds of not.

Again just friendly advice but 'think' about it..... over a 10 year period, especially with a spouse and teen/young drivers (covers 'em up to 26)..that's actually 30 years worth of driving, what are the 'odds' of getting another ticket?

Where the 'savings' on ONE of them covers to cost of having coverage, meaning every other feature of the coverage is FREE....a silly coverage NOT to have when compared to others but hey to each his/her own.

Best of luck!

(Any agent who'd like to refer, clients I'm open ...
I'm NOT attempting to 'recruit' you at all.
My business is fine w/o trying to convince you to offer a needed product but I'll offer you a referral fee if you'd like....and 'trust me' I won't try to 'steal' your client in order to write policies
'underwriting',blood test and DEA prescription screening prior to being issued and payable...
no thanks friend, that's all you

And another reason to consult with a qualified independent agent that can read fine print!

You pay a little bit more for that 'accident forgiveness' stuff, which is usually worth it because it's bundled with a bunch of other stuff you really want and need, but the insurance company can suddenly remember that accident when accident #2 happens.

It would be 'interesting' if there were a policy/plan that would cover such occurrences ???

Where..."an attorney that specializes....."
would "fight it is cheaper than the fine"

and "factoring in insurance over the next 6 years and assuming I don't get into any accidents or issued other tickets, could essentially end up costing $2,000+.

Some might say 'if' one had such a 'coverage' plan for say $19.95/mo
for an entire family it might be worth it to...

""fight" the ticket and try to get a deal with the prosecutor for something lesser that does not involve points....

(And while) You don't need an attorney for this, but having one will likely increase the odds of a best possible deal."

(Wow!!! That sounds like a company brochure)

Based upon that alone, some might think it'd be a good idea to offer such coverage,
especially considering all the other things having access to a closed network of lawyers might lend itself to
(sort of like a legal HMO).

Maybe somebody should create such a service....where
Wills
POA's (with financial and medical directives)
Contract reviews
Motor Vehicle Representation
Uncontested Divorces (of over 90% in America are)
are are covered by a policy/plan....

Funny how many insurances agents don't offer their clients such a plan...because 'they' are too smart to realize it's just a policy/plan just like many others they sell.

Although, 25% of the states in the union require the same license to sell it as they do the other policies/plans they hawk....better coverage than a whole lot of other 'insurance' offerings.

But hey, I just look to ease a pain for my clients....
and of course get paid now and later (they call it residual income)...others got their insurance licenses for loftier goals, than I.
when compared to taking the lower odds of not.

Again just friendly advice but 'think' about it..... over a 10 year period, especially with a spouse and teen/young drivers (covers 'em up to 26)..that's actually 30 years worth of driving, what are the 'odds' of getting another ticket?

Where the 'savings' on ONE of them covers to cost of having coverage, meaning every other feature of the coverage is FREE....a silly coverage NOT to have when compared to others but hey to each his/her own.

Best of luck!

(Any agent who'd like to refer, clients I'm open ...
I'm NOT attempting to 'recruit' you at all.
My business is fine w/o trying to convince you to offer a needed product but I'll offer you a referral fee if you'd like....and 'trust me' I won't try to 'steal' your client in order to write policies
'underwriting',blood test and DEA prescription screening prior to being issued and payable...
no thanks friend, that's all you

LOL did this guy just type out an entire pitch for prepaid legal.... :/

Back