First Steps in Determining a Proper Policy ?

scrabble

Expert
can anyone share their method of determining what policy is best for any certain individual. it would seem that the number of annual doctor visits a person/family makes is the major factor ... yes ?
thanks
joe

After asking questions, and listening, start with what they currently have. Build the plan from the back forward. Show them how much a large claim will set them back, then show other plans with similar OOP.

Start with the the lowest price and add benefits (such as copays) back in as needed.

I try to give people a good, better, best option.

I put their bare bones needs in the good policy, upgrade it a little bit in the better policy, and then put all of the bells and whistles in the best policy. After that I explain the difference between all of them and see what they can afford. Sometimes they tell me that they are disappointed that they can only afford the good policy (which will happen many times). You just look them right in the eye and tell them, "Hey, this is a good policy. Good, better, or best...the worst thing you can do is buy nothing. Without any coverage you're up the creek without a paddle. Sometimes you make it safely to the end and sometimes you don't, but you can sleep soundly at night knowing that you are at least covered if something were to happen.".

You just have to find out what they absolutely have to have/can't live without and build up from there.

can anyone share their method of determining what policy is best for any certain individual. it would seem that the number of annual doctor visits a person/family makes is the major factor ... yes ?
thanks
joe

The major factor should be their genealogy and age. An individual who has little or no health concerns may be able to get an economical plan vs. someone who has more health concerns and pre-existing conditions. These are some of the questions that you should ask any prospective client that is inquiring about health products.

So far, the approach that's working best for me is:

"So, you're out looking for some new health insurance coverage today. What made you decide you needed a change?" Then let them sell themselves a policy.

Back