Five Ways Approach

I would say any of the questions you posted by some poster on another site are well and good. Yet before you know what you are up against you have to go out there and start talking and walking before you can get past the worries you seem to have. Now obviously if you are going to do this like me, with no real help you'll will fail at first! No suprise, just pick a week and go out there knowing full well you'll not write a plan, if you do, well you will just be that further ahead!

Pick a product, I suggest simple term and a carrier or two. Go out there and walk and talk, the worst thing that can happen is you get no sales, but that is what you have to do if you want entrance into this business.

Yeah, you're right. I just don't want to sound like a total *** when I do it, and even if I don't make any sales right away, I'd like to get started on the right track. I should have my business cards next week.

Let me ask a couple more questions of you: What, if anything, do you have in hand to give them? A brochure? If yes, please describe.

Also:

You walk into a business, meet the owner and spit the 5 ways. The owner says, "How can you do that?"

You reply:....

Edit: Like you I'm Barefootin' it --- on my own with no real help other than the 'nets.

Last edited:
Yeah, you're right. I just don't want to sound like a total *** when I do it, and even if I don't make any sales right away, I'd like to get started on the right track. I should have my business cards next week.

Let me ask a couple more questions of you: What, if anything, do you have in hand to give them? A brochure? If yes, please describe.

Also:

You walk into a business, meet the owner and spit the 5 ways. The owner says, "How can you do that?"

You reply:....With Insurance Products

Edit: Like you I'm Barefootin' it --- on my own with no real help other than the 'nets.

That is basically the answer!

When I first started in this business 3 years ago, all I did was walk into businesses with a flyer with the "5 Ways" printed on it and used the approach over and over again. I didn't have a clue about business needs, no sales skills (first job out of college), and no good follow-up questions to disturb. Most people dismissed me because I was so bad, but I still got enough sales to make it worth my time. Walk and talk.

Most will reply, "I already have that covered." On a first introduction, I wouldn't argue, I would simply say:

"Well that is fine Mr. Big, however things do always have a way of changing. With that in mind do you mind if I stay in touch with you?"

Can I get your email address so I can send a message introducting myself?"

Then drip on them with a bi-weekly email newsletter of some kind and follow-up in 3 to 6 months (this was the component I was missing and probably the most important). They won't see you as the guy who walked in off the street after a while.

Delta,

Thanks for the input. What did you do, hand them the 5 ways flier and let them read it?

So a Bi-weekly newsletter? How big are they?

I can see doing a rotation of different aspects of different tpes of coverage and the bene's. So one issue is a brief discussion of BOE, another is on Business Reducing Term, etc.

Another Question for you guys -- in walking do you recommend strip malls, office buildings or the industrial zone?

I figure once I get my rap down and know my product, I will mainly focus on attorneys.

Last edited:
Back