Five Ways Approach

1)Death -- term/ul/wl
2)Disability ----- sort lont term disability
3)Retirement ---- Ul/WL?
4)Voluntary Sale --?
5)Bankruptcy --?

can someone please help me understand how to cover #3,4,and 5
thanks

When I first started in this business 3 years ago, all I did was walk into businesses with a flyer with the "5 Ways" printed on it and used the approach over and over again. I didn't have a clue about business needs, no sales skills (first job out of college), and no good follow-up questions to disturb. Most people dismissed me because I was so bad, but I still got enough sales to make it worth my time. Walk and talk.

I am going to do this what would a flyer say

1)Death -- term/ul/wl
3)Retirement ---- Ul/WL?
4)Voluntary Sale --?
5)Bankruptcy --?

thanks

If you are new at it, stick with the first two! DB is the easiest and most sure way of selling Life Insurance, beleive it or not! DI, everyone needs DI. Learn it and get some passion for the product. Both pays well!

1)Death -- term/ul/wl
3)Retirement ---- Ul/WL?
4)Voluntary Sale --?
5)Bankruptcy --?

thanks

Well there really are only two ways out that can happen later today. You can't decide to retire later today. You can't voluntarily sell a business later today. You can't file bankruptcy later today. You could become disabled in ten minutes and you could die tonight. Cover those bases first. Work on the rest later.

#3 You also should throw in fixed and indexed annuities, maybe some ltci and of course if you sell investments you know what else.

#4 How can you help a business owner maximize the profit in a sale of his business? One of the best things a business has going for it is good long-term employees. How does a business owner keep long-term employees? Think benefits.

#5 Bankruptcy - depending on your state certain assets are exempt from creditors. Think life insurance and annuities.

Certainly those aren't all inclusive but you get the idea.

Haven't been to the top gun forum. Agree that there isn't much at RR.

The Topgunproducer site has a lot of information on using the Five Ways. If you are interested in Five Ways I would highly recommend acquiring Meisel's books. The MDRT has some of them for sale. I have personally spoken to Burt Meisel and he is an interesting person.

Last edited:
Yes, I've been to the topgun site since starting this thread. There are some really good posters on there talking about life ins. Good place to lurk and read, but that rick blaine character is a real bag of ass gas. No wonder people stopped posting there.

Markie G. Glad you found this thread, it was good to reread it and see how far I have come.

I'm not using the 5 ways as much as I should, but whenever I am in a franchise or corp owned business, I make a point of asking the person who assisted me "Who handles your paycheck continuation if you get sick or hurt and are unable to work?" (credit to c. beckwith.)

Gotta love DI! 60% fyc with 5-7% trail 10 year.

Last edited:
I just tried to register at topgun to learn more about the five ways approach and they said that my email was invalid. I have no idea what their problem is.

Back