Florida: Basic Help Guidance Knowledge Etc

Hello everybody.

A little about myself. 34, bachelors in finance(UCF), mature, driven, own my own small company (don't ask, won't tell...), like face to face business interactions, ready to start something new that I can have pride in and build myself, understand that this will not be easy...anyways, I'm in the process of acquiring my 2-15 license in state of Florida. I should be complete withing a week or so..which leads me to two questions I have:

1. Can I become independent right out of the gate or is insurance like real estate where I need to work under a broker for a length of time before I can become a "broker"?

2. In my area there are several big firms:
  • Allstate
  • State farm
  • Metlife
  • Aflac
  • Bankers
  • Liberty national (not interested!)
If I were to go work and get some experience with one of these firms, which one do you think would be the best one to learn with? Thanks for the input on the two above, Sean.... guidance

own my own small company (don't ask, won't tell...)

Don't suppose you are recruiting for the military?

As for going independent in P&C, probably not advisable even if possible (which I doubt).

Life and Health is much easier to go Independent right away. I just got my license back in September and have been Independent the whole time. Like anything, there is alot to learn and take in. I'm running into new things every day. I basically have learned everything from this forum and more so from the contacts i have made on here.

You can and should go independent out of the gate if you want to sell health. There is currently no captive health outfit in the country that will teach you to sell ethically and not a single captive outfit that sells top tier products.

If you are new to the industry, the best thing you can do is find a carrier that offers a great training program or mentor system. This is the best way to learn the indusrty and generate revenue while you are starting out. I would warn against trying to get appointed with as many carriers as possible in the beginning.

Be careful where you ask for information as well. Many times the people answering are only trying to recruit you or get you to buy a service from them or to join some sort of association that will "bring you value". Don't get sucked into a "training" association or something of the like that wants money to show you how to sell insurance. To be successful you need a mentor and someone that will go into the field with you..

Carriers: One of the better training companies, depending upon your area of the country is Aflac. Understand that 8/10 companies you prospect will be an existing account or will have already had a presentation. However, they do train you how to prospect and close, if you are open to it. You may not be there for the LT but you will receive training, in most caes for free. The training includes section 125 and technology training as well.

Allstate - 50/50...their distribution is not as strong a most voluntary carriers...

Met/SF- not a good place to begin...

Firms like Assurant or the IHC companies will offer web training...again...try to find field training to begin...

If you are going to sell medical in FL...appoint with Avalon HC if you are in South FL and BC/BS...

Term Life - RBC - minimal underwriting questions and they can issue policies in 20 minutes or less with qualified prospects..

Lastly, If all else fails..find a good ga that is experienced and offers free training and a mentorship program.
good luck!

Thank you so much for the inspirational advice. I work nights and have all day to get going. I have read a bit more over the last few days on some of the big captive insurance agencies, and I don't really like what I read and you guys seem to prefer independence over captivity... I do plan on going with life and health and focusing most if not all of my efforts with those 2.... Mostly because I presently have both and believe in them...should be easier to market things I actually believe in.

I do have one question that I can't seem to find the answer to as of yet:

In Florida, can I go independent right away or is there a state mandated time where I need to work under an agent?

Sean.

Alright I got the go ahead from my wife to go independent. She is very supportive, thankfully. I'm going to do a business plan so that I can stay on track with what I perceive as a monumental task of putting all this together. I'm in no rush and my main concern is setting up a sound and profitable business.

.....That being said, are there any books or resources out there that have "how to's" on setting up an insurance firm?

Thanks for all your help, Sean J.

Back