Florida Resident Wanting to Find New Carrier

modhatter

I live in southern Florida, and currently have Citizens. I am sure you are all aware of the problems getting homeowner's insurance here.

I live in a small 1100 sq. ft block duplex built in either 1972 or 74. It is a block house, well maintained and completely renovated. Last year after private insurance company pulled the plug, I had to go back to Citizens. So I decided, I didn't even want hurricane insurance (I own it free and clear) and just have fire and liabillity on it now.
I have a second home in Arizona, which is insured by Nationwide, along with three vehicles and two rental properties, and a 1 Mil umbrella attached to my Arizona home.

As I plan to sell my Arizona home hopefully in 2012, I will lose my umbrella, as you can't write umbrella policies through Citizens, I wanted to see if there was a company that would insure the Florida residence (without cancelling) It is currently insured for only around $125,000. I've never ever had a claim on anything except a broken windshield once on my car in 40 years of homeownership. Have very good credit, etc.

I would like to find a company I can move everything over to (home, rentals, auto's, umbrella policy) to take advantage of all available discounts, but don't want to wind up with an independent carrier for a year - only to be forced back to Citizens with no access to an umbrella policy. I have been with Nationwide for more than 15 years.

Any recommendations?

You are most likely not going to find a company that will write everything together. The only company that I am aware of that is writing packages in Florida is AAA and they most likely have an age restriction on the house depending where you are in south Florida, it is 1995 here in Pinellas county. Nationwide, Travelers and Progressive will write the autos with the umbrella.

I live in southern Florida, and currently have Citizens. I am sure you are all aware of the problems getting homeowner's insurance here.

I live in a small 1100 sq. ft block duplex built in either 1972 or 74. It is a block house, well maintained and completely renovated. Last year after private insurance company pulled the plug, I had to go back to Citizens. So I decided, I didn't even want hurricane insurance (I own it free and clear) and just have fire and liabillity on it now.
I have a second home in Arizona, which is insured by Nationwide, along with three vehicles and two rental properties, and a 1 Mil umbrella attached to my Arizona home.

As I plan to sell my Arizona home hopefully in 2012, I will lose my umbrella, as you can't write umbrella policies through Citizens, I wanted to see if there was a company that would insure the Florida residence (without cancelling) It is currently insured for only around $125,000. I've never ever had a claim on anything except a broken windshield once on my car in 40 years of homeownership. Have very good credit, etc.

I would like to find a company I can move everything over to (home, rentals, auto's, umbrella policy) to take advantage of all available discounts, but don't want to wind up with an independent carrier for a year - only to be forced back to Citizens with no access to an umbrella policy. I have been with Nationwide for more than 15 years.

Any recommendations?

In Florida you really need to contact an Independent Agent in your area. They will probably use more than one carrier to satisfy your needs. You will have one agent to deal with and they will be able to take care of all of your insurance needs. Umbrellas can be written stand alone if necessay.

[email protected]

Any recommendations?

Hate to give you the bad news, but for a home built in the 70s, if the home is located in either Broward or Dade county, Citizens will be your best and only option.

I agree about contacting a local agent however there may be other options for her the age am not worrie about as much as long as a 4 point can be provided it's the duplex. Do you rent the other side? Is it vacant? And a replacement cost estimator to see te exact insurable value. Either way would be glad to help you can contact me

[email protected]

I agree about contacting a local agent however there may be other options for her the age am not worrie about as much as long as a 4 point can be provided it's the duplex. Do you rent the other side? Is it vacant? And a replacement cost estimator to see te exact insurable value.

I'll seccond that but you might want to buy excess liability instead of an umbrella policy while just insuring the duplex in South Florida. An umbrella will be needed if you have your primary residence in Florida and you have autos.
Adam
Florida Assurers, Inc
305-532-2471

I agree an independent will be able to assist you and get everything written in the same office but there is not one company in Florida writing all those lines of insurance. Carriers that will write that type of home in Florida is People's Trust, Heritage, Souther Oak, and Federated National. Other then that nobody will touch it. Good luck.

I do recommend one company that would be help you out in this case. It's Executive Adjusting Consultants.

Last edited by a moderator:
fearsback said:
I agree an independent will be able to assist you and get everything written in the same office but there is not one company in Florida writing all those lines of insurance. Carriers that will write that type of home in Florida is People's Trust, Heritage, Souther Oak, and Federated National. Other then that nobody will touch it. Good luck.

You are correct on this risk.

However there are carriers writing multi line packages. They will only do high value homeowners. They can do auto, primary home including DIC flood, secondary home including (primary flood), jewelry floater and Umbrella just did one nice premium.

Back