Font Color on a Website.

Mark

Guru
5000 Post Club
Georgia
I guess font color on a website does matter.

Some people are color blind also.

I have a tough time seeing yellow on a website.

What are some of the best colors to use on a website?

I wrote about this about a year ago

Pangaea said:
While nearly everyone knows the importance of a good headline there are still far too many marketers making it harder for the rest of us to even look at a good advertisement because they have NO clue of the importance of color in marketing, let’s call it the color of success for today’s exercise.
So what is the color of success? First we have to decide what we're going to define success as; success can simply be described as the achievement of a predetermined goal. What that goal is depends on what your marketing’s objective is for the time being. For today we’re going to simply outline what the colors mean in terms of marketing objectives and we’ll let you decide how you use them.

Color: Red
If you’ve been paying ANY attention to our website you’ll notice that we’re pretty hardcore with red, one of the most passionate of colors you can use. Red is the color of Attraction (literally!), it’s generally the color to grab your attention first (Darwinian evolutionary survival mechanism). Being that it’s such a strong color you probably don’t want to use red in an instance that calls for subtlety – such as the background of a wake announcement or as the carpeting of a cubical wall.

Color: Yellow
It’s hard to frown in sunshine isn’t it? Another by product of that pesky evolution, yellow is the color that we subconsciously associate with optimism and joy. Have you ever given or received a bouquet of yellow roses? It’s invigorating to say the least. Another fun fact is that yellow when combined with black (in pattern, not blended) serves best as the most memorable combination in marketing.

Color: Black
When I think of black the first thing that comes to mind is a black Lamborghini Murcielago or an American Express Centurion card and there’s good reason those colors are used frequently with those products. Black entices the observer with feelings of strength, power, and intelligence. Black can also be used to create a somber atmosphere, like at a funeral. Be sure to use black accordingly with power and prestige when possible. There’s something about black when done properly and it’s a color best served as a shade (If that makes any sense).

Color: White
It’s pretty hard to go wrong with white, unless you’re using too much white (and I’m not talking about a Diddy white party). When people think of white we tend to think of clean, fresh, sterile, and pure. It’s definitely a shade to be taken lightly and it’s even harder to misuse it. Just don’t combine it with poor contrasting colors like yellow and you’ll be fine… Capese?

Color: Blue
When you think of blue what do you think of? Whenever you ask someone what their favorite color is you’d make more money than you’d lose if you always bet on blue. Blue is the color of solidarity, the color of stability, the color of wisdom & dependability. Do you remember IBM Blue? C’mon, I think that says it all. Blue used to be my favorite color to use when marketing financial products online. Now I prefer using light green and white, but you can’t go wrong with blue. Next time you go to a bank website I want you to notice the colors. ;)

Color: Green
Natural, fresh, and fertile green is all around us on a beautiful spring day and it’s the color that we think of when used in its lighter shades. When Americans think of green may also think of St. Patty’s Day, and money -- something to consider when using green. Now can you see why my favorite combination is light green and white?

Color: Brown
There’s something very drab about brown and that’s because you only tend to see it in the most boring uses (wood, dirt, fecal matter). Brown is a very naturalistic color that can be a great mood creator when used with care. Brown can also be used to create a sense of stability, does UPS come to mind? Let’s just say you’re never going to turn heads with a brown dress. NEVER, and I'll put more money on that than I will on blue being your son's favorite color.

Color: Purple
The color purple is something more than another vehicle used by Oprah to improve her reach. Being that it’s not very common in nature it was used by Monarchs and the upper echelon of society to show their sophistication and class and with good reason. The color purple is simply regal.

Color: Gray
Gray isn’t exactly the best color to brighten your day, actually it’s probably the worst one of all of them. Rocks are gray, roads are gray, steel is gray, boringness is gray. Don’t confuse the shimmer and gloss of silver with the humdrum of gray. I’m not a fan of gray, but it does make hell of a background. Think of gray as the ugly friend if the color spectrum was a group of girls.

Last edited:
It's up to you. Just make it professional and clean. There are lots of resources out there where you can see good designs of websites.

Back