Food for thought

LG, it's great to see someone like you think beyond the immediate benefits that either you as the agent, or the immediate family will gain from the sale of life insurance. Humans can be unpredictable, so trying to discern someone's motives for doing what they do can be next to impossible.
I also concur with many of the statements written above. We don't know what sort of pain someone is living with, from a physical and mental perspective. Sometimes the mental anguish is inescapable and leads some to take their own lives. Those of us who aren't afflicted as such, find it difficult to understand suicide.
As life insurance agents, I believe we should solve "their" problem, be it what they perceive it to be. If it's setting up their loved ones for their remaining lives once they check out, or just giving them a temporary life-boat as safe passage to calmer waters, it's their choice. As long you do your part correctly and explain it properly, which I have no doubt you did, you cannot protect someone from themselves.
I appreciate the theme and great insights given by all on such a difficult situation that apparently has affected you personally. It's good to see good people representing a profession that many ridicule and hold in disdain.

I know of at least one case where a person considering suicide learned that his policy wouldn't pay for suicide due to being in force less than 2 years. That caused him to eliminate that possibility from his mind. So he got some counseling instead. That was over 20 years ago, and he's still living.

When I get a call like this from either an insured or a family member, I usually probe to see what's motivating the call. That often leads to sales when it's motivated by some life event that causes them to be concerned about family security. But, as far as I know, I've never gotten this kind of call from someone considering suicide. I don't know if I would necessarily pick up on it, either. But your post makes me think that we should all check into local resources, like suicide hotlines, etc., and keep the numbers handy. If we should realize that our client is leaning in that direction, perhaps we can get them to talk to someone who's better equipped to talk them down & get them the help they need.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back