Food or Gas?

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
I am thinking about sending out thank you cards to new clients (and old ones who provide referrals) with a gift card included. Most (about 80%) of my clients are women so I am thinking of something practical but not too personal.

Gift cards for a grocery store, or gift cards for gasoline. I would use a major chain such as Kroger for grocery and probably BP for gas.

Any thoughts or other suggestions?

Would it be possible to give a card that could be used for both? I know of a Kroger that has gas and I believe a gift card could be used at the pump or in the store. Wal-Mart or Sams is the same way, I think.

movie tickets. people tend to remember that longer, and appreciate them more.

Be careful of rebating rules if you send these to new clients as part of a regular practice.

Dan

Movie tickets are a good idea, but I have clients all over the state. Theatre chains in Atlanta may or may not be near some of my clients in the hinterlands.

I believe rebating rules would only come into play of tickets, gifts, etc were offered as an incentive to buy.

That is not the case here.

Besides, I doubt the DOI is going after an agent for a $10 - $25 gift. Even the IRS won't come down on you as long as it is $25 or less.

thx!

You're right that rebating rules only apply if it is an incentive to buy. I just wanted to make sure a new person reading this thread understands that you do have to be very aware of this.

Movie tickets - give gift certificates to Fandango, they can buy their own tickets to their theatre. You can put a limit on them (such as must be used in 3 months) and if they are not used, you can recycle them as long as you know the numbers.

My experience is you want to give out an 'event', such as a dinner or movie, rather than a life necessity, such as food or gas. People tend to remember it much better and think of you as a nicer person. No idea what the psychology is behind this.

Dan

You're right that rebating rules only apply if it is an incentive to buy. I just wanted to make sure a new person reading this thread understands that you do have to be very aware of this.

Movie tickets - give gift certificates to Fandango, they can buy their own tickets to their theatre. You can put a limit on them (such as must be used in 3 months) and if they are not used, you can recycle them as long as you know the numbers.

My experience is you want to give out an 'event', such as a dinner or movie, rather than a life necessity, such as food or gas. People tend to remember it much better and think of you as a nicer person. No idea what the psychology is behind this.

Dan

Great post Dan. You hit upon one of my favorite subjects. The experiences that people go through create far more memorable impressions vs. something that doesn't hold as much water. How much fun can you really have pumping gas ?

For example, somebody might buy a new gold watch and feel overjoyed for the 1st few weeks, but that soon dies off as the newness goes away. Yes, the pride associated with buying luxury items is nice, but it cannot compare to what you feel when you go on a vacation or eat dinner at a restaurant you have always wanted to visit. Trump and Starbucks employ this basic desire in much of their marketing and brand awareness.

Last edited:
Back