"For Less Than $2 More..."

WCMason

Guru
1000 Post Club
One of my med sup clients called me yesterday. He has his drug plan with the lowest cost Part D carrier in every market ($18.40 in his) and called the plan to ask a question about the coverage on one of his drugs for next year. What he got is what he described as a pretty hard-sell on adding medical coverage for "less than two dollars more per month." The rep went on to tell him that it would include coverage for his doctor visits and hospitalization. Suspicious, he politely declined and called me to ask what this was about.

I explained to him that it was a Medicare Advantage plan he was being offered. We talked about it including doctor and hospital networks, out-of-pocket costs for everything that could reach as high as $6700 in a year. The carrier's rep had mentioned none of this, focusing only on his getting a lot more coverage for less than two dollars more. I explained to him that if he did want to consider a plan like this I would be happy to discuss it with him and enroll him in one. But of course he wanted no part of it.

I know there have been other threads on the same theme. And it seems the pattern is that this sales tactic is primarily carried out by one carrier. Their Part D plan does have the lowest premium, but it also has the maximum $360 deductible. The second lowest premium Part D plan has no deductible. Maybe I will start borrowing from their strategy: "for only $4 more..."

Last edited:
We talked about it including doctor and hospital networks, out-of-pocket costs for everything that could reach as high as $6700 in a year. The carrier's rep had mentioned none of this

That burns me more than anything else carriers do (along with poaching). CMS rules don't apply to them.

Of course I have no idea which carrier you reference but it reminds me of a conversation I had with a prospect a few years ago. After describing the benefits, rates, etc he asked which carrier.

He was relieved when I told him.

"Oh yeah I know Amana. They make great refrigerators. When did they get into the insurance business?"

That burns me more than anything else carriers do (along with poaching). CMS rules don't apply to them.

Of course I have no idea which carrier you reference but it reminds me of a conversation I had with a prospect a few years ago. After describing the benefits, rates, etc he asked which carrier.

He was relieved when I told him.

"Oh yeah I know Amana. They make great refrigerators. When did they get into the insurance business?"
You guessed it. You call Amana with a question about your perfectly good refrigerator and they try to sell you another one for a few dollars more.

they crazy part is not only this regular tactics by this carrier, If you as an independant tried anything like that That very same carrier will come down on you faster then you can blink

Just replace little girls with "Amana"

Last edited by a moderator:
This is exactly why I have started using the other carrier you are talking about, the one that's $4 more, if there's not much difference to the client. Especially if they get approved for extra help, not a chance I'll put them with that $18.40 company, just to prevent this upsell scenario

Bilver Scripts vs Bumana will be the fight of pdp aep this year indeed!

I've actually had Betna show as the least expensive for a good number of clients. Most of those already on Bilver Scripts are staying put. But I've done a good number of Betna apps already. And those apps are a PITA. Why can't everyone provide a link like Bilver Scripts?

With that said, you'll need to follow up with those clients who you have the email sent to. I've had a few not show up so I've had to email them with the confirmation numbers in hopes of getting credit. It worked last year. Hopefully it will this year too.

Back