For New Final Expense Agents: 4 Final Expense Contract Scams To Avoid

Rearden

Guru
5000 Post Club
Hi guys,

I am writing this forum post to assist newer agents in the process of discovering how they can avoid the common contractual pitfalls associated with many final expense marketing organizations.

NOTE: For agents browsing the Insurance Forum for advice on which organization to join, thankfully the vast majority of agencies recruiting on the Forum do NOT do any of these shady contracting scams.

The great thing about the Insurance Forum is that we all hold each other accountable for any BS, which raises the bar for all competing recruiting organizations, so much so that if any pulled the kind of "stunts" mentioned below, they'd be chased off and never return.

...The Free Market At Work!

Plus, most (if not all) own are associated with great final expense agency organizations, and have the field experience necessary to train new agents into a position of success.

The reason you should be wary of final expense contracting shadiness is that many of the heavy recruiting organizations utilize these scams as contractual shackles, preventing you from maximizing your income, effectively imprisoning you in an organization that may turn out nothing like you expected.

That’s why it’s important to ask the tough questions upfront.

Understand that most final expense marketing organizations are experts at presenting themselves in a positive light. There salespeople, after all!

However, sometimes there ain’t much steak to the sizzle. And getting these important issues answered up front will help you tremendously in your longevity in the business.

1st Contract Scam: Limited Vesting Of Your Book Of Business

One thing you must understand about selling insurance. Your prospects don’t buy companies...

...They buy YOU.

The carriers you offer them are a secondary matter. Your trust, rapport, and relationship built with your client is the most important aspect of your success in this business.

This is why it is imperative you must OWN the business you write!

Here’s what I mean.

“Vesting” refers to the point at which you actually OWN your book of business you wrote. Further, this is defined as who owns the future commission streams.

As an independent agent, generally-speaking, you own your future commissions 100% from the first day. This means if you part ways with your insurance agency, they do not take ownership of your clients’ commission streams.

Seems fair, right? But here’s the thing… MANY captive agencies specifically set a one- or two-year period in which, if you are terminated (for cause, or NOT for cause - more on that later), the clients YOU sold, that YOU service, become the property of your upline manager, INCLUDING the commission streams!

Take a look at the sample agent contract below. I snipped this portion out where you can see for yourself what one large final expense organization does to take ownership of your block of business:

final-expense-agent-contract.png

Bottom line, this problem is REAL. And luckily, is avoidable… IF you find the RIGHT final expense organization to join (like virtually ALL of the final expense organizations on the Insurance Forum).

2nd Contract Scam: Captivity To One Carrier

Ask any experienced final expense agent. They will tell you that selling final expense is akin to running your own business.

YOU must motivate yourself to sell. YOU must be responsible for learning new sales skills and improving your game. YOU carry the full brunt of taxation, just as a business owner does.

Therefore, does it not make sense to have the POSITIVE aspects of business ownership including, too? Such as freedom to work HOW you want… and with WHOM you want to work with?

This is the problem with captive agencies.

They FORCE you to do business with them AND ONLY THEM.

Contractually, many times they will make you ask them permission to work with other final expense companies. And many times, they will TERMINATE you (and probably take your unvested commissions, too!) if you do so without their permission!

There’s several problems with this setup.

Number one, you’re obviously in business for yourself. You should have the freedom to do what you want.

Number two is the nature in which a captive final expense organization operates.

You are CAPTIVE to one company. You are captive to ONE product!

And no final expense product is perfect for all your clients!

What incidentally happens to captive agents is that their quality of business is at higher risk of being poor. For example, captive agents experience replacements more often, lower closing ratios, and approving clients for poorer quality coverage.

What’s the alternative? Be an independent agent!

Independent agents work with whom they want. Independent agents can shop the best final expense carriers for their clients. And many times, the overall quality of business is MUCH better. Less replacements, better pricing, and better quality of coverage.

Luckily, most final expense agencies on the Forum are independent with a wide array of final expense carriers available.

Scam #3: Release Provisions

While many marketing organizations sound great initially, relationships may sour, and opinions may change, so much so that working with another organization may be a better direction for your final expense career.

That’s why you need to ensure your final expense agency will release you to the organization of your choice, if YOU deem it necessary.

You see, your final expense agency has total power over whether or not he wants you released from the final expense carrier contract.

Sometimes there is good reason for this. There are agents that load up charge backs and leave the debt to the agency. And the agency needs leverage to ensure said debt is cleared.

I personally understand that as a final expense agency myself, and think this is a fair reason why an agent may not be released immediately upon request.

However, if the agent is debt free to his final expense agency, has good quality business, and doesn’t have any other financial obligations to his existing final expense agency, there really is no reason why you cannot request and receive a release to whatever final expense marketing organization you select.

NOTE: If you are stuck with an agency that will NOT release, even if you satisfy all the points above, in most cases, you’ll essentially be a “free agent” after six months of non-production. So, as much as it stinks, shelve that final expense carrier, wait six months, then you should be able to move your carrier business to whomever you please.

#4 Scam: Termination Considerations

Termination considerations tie in directly with the vesting language found in the most onerous final expense agent contracts.

There are two types of terminations.

First is for-cause. This is when you’re terminated to violating your agent contract.

The second is non-cause termination. You are effectively appointed “at-will,” and most final expense contracts state either party can terminate the contract at any time.

The problem with termination when stuck in a non-vested agent contract is that you will lose your future commissions whether or not you are terminated for-cause or not-for-cause.

Basically, you put your business earnings in total control to your captive agency.

I once had an agent who was terminated not-for-cause (didn’t get along with his managers), that if terminated one week prior, he would have lost approximately $30,000 in future commissions over the next year.

In fact, said agency attempted to date the termination letter a DAY before his two year vesting agreement took effect, even though he received the termination letter 10 days AFTER the date on the termination notice!

Luckily, the agent contract stated the vesting provision was based on the date received by the agent, and NOT due to an arbitrary date, made up by his agency. That agent definitely lucked out!

Conclusion

FInal expense is a great business. Just make sure you work in a capacity that you OWN your business, AND retain the freedom that comes with it, too.

Ignorance of the points made above has cost hundreds of final expense agents untold amounts of commission and heartache, with many (if not most) leaving the business altogether with a bad taste in their mouths.

Hope you found this training useful and informative. Make sure you put it to good use!

-Dave

Cool you post this so agents know, but it isn't a Scam if it is in writing for the agent to read.

Definition of "scam" [scam]
  • (noun) A fraudulent business scheme; a swindle.
  • (verb-transitive) To defraud; swindle.
Maybe the second one could make these considered a "scam" but it is in writing. Either way agents should know about it. But most successful agents grew up in this type of "scam" and it made us smarter. You can lawnmower or helicopter agents like we do with the Millennials and kids now a day's. Think about it, everyone thinks they deserve the "highest" contract, the best this and the best that, me me me me. That is not how business works or how life works. Ever think the failure rate is so high because the skin is so thin? I digress......

These aren’t scams. These are contractual agreements made by an agent and their IMO that is clearly in writing.

I start e off captive with literally all of these stipulations. They bought me leads, went in ride alongs with me, and held my hand as I was brand new to the business. If it wasn’t for this captive set up and training/leads they provided me there is no way I would still be here 10 years later.

Starting independent with no money for leads, and forced to door knock will lead to most failing. And unfortunately as good as independent may be, the turnover is higher than most captive shops from what I’ve seen. Why do you think that is?

Chase and Rirwin, you won't find the 1st thing in a contract about needing a release to change uplines. I'm talking about insurance company contracts AND agency contracts (if there is one).

Secondly, when you can read a contract and read about vesting, terminations, and captivity, keep in mind that captive agencies are usually hiring brand new agents. So those agents don't really know that there are alternatives. They think it is just SOP.

Now, if they know about this upfront and still sign the contract....well, that's on the agent.

Chase and Rirwin, you won't find the 1st thing in a contract about needing a release to change uplines. I'm talking about insurance company contracts AND agency contracts (if there is one).

Secondly, when you can read a contract and read about vesting, terminations, and captivity, keep in mind that captive agencies are usually hiring brand new agents. So those agents don't really know that there are alternatives. They think it is just SOP.

Now, if they know about this upfront and still sign the contract....well, that's on the agent.

Never say another word about personal responsibility. The person had the chance to read it and signed it. If they didn't understand it, they should have asked someone else for clarification.

These are not scams, they may qualify as traps or gotchas, but not a scam.

At some point, you have to become an adult and not only read what you are signing but live up to it.

You're right about the word choice.

It is not so much of a "scam" as it is a poor setup for many (not all) final expense agents who want to optimize their short- and long-term career goals.

In reality, as Todd described, new agents know nothing, and while they SHOULD review their contract, most of us know they will not question the contract, much less ask for line-by-line description of what vesting means to better educate the neophyte on what the implications are for signing up with said captive agency.

Do you think a new agent could foresee their future commissions to be contractually taken from them at any point (with good reason for termination or not) within the first two years of their agent contract, which could amount to tens of thousands of dollars?

So, while I agree with you in theory (caveat emptor), it's still a potentially horrible position to be in as an agent, and one is better off knowing that not knowing.

Cool you post this so agents know, but it isn't a Scam if it is in writing for the agent to read.

Definition of "scam" [scam]
  • (noun) A fraudulent business scheme; a swindle.
  • (verb-transitive) To defraud; swindle.
Maybe the second one could make these considered a "scam" but it is in writing. Either way agents should know about it. But most successful agents grew up in this type of "scam" and it made us smarter. You can lawnmower or helicopter agents like we do with the Millennials and kids now a day's. Think about it, everyone thinks they deserve the "highest" contract, the best this and the best that, me me me me. That is not how business works or how life works. Ever think the failure rate is so high because the skin is so thin? I digress......

I definitely agree. There are agents that would only make it in captive setups like yourself that would otherwise fail. And those, despite the onerous contractual agreements, are better off with captive organizations.

These aren’t scams. These are contractual agreements made by an agent and their IMO that is clearly in writing.

I start e off captive with literally all of these stipulations. They bought me leads, went in ride alongs with me, and held my hand as I was brand new to the business. If it wasn’t for this captive set up and training/leads they provided me there is no way I would still be here 10 years later.

Starting independent with no money for leads, and forced to door knock will lead to most failing. And unfortunately as good as independent may be, the turnover is higher than most captive shops from what I’ve seen. Why do you think that is?

Never say another word about personal responsibility. The person had the chance to read it and signed it. If they didn't understand it, they should have asked someone else for clarification.

These are not scams, they may qualify as traps or gotchas, but not a scam.

At some point, you have to become an adult and not only read what you are signing but live up to it.

I'll agree with you on 3. What about releases. How would you label that? If it's not in writing would you consider it a scam? I know it is definitely a trap and a gotcha, but what else? By my definition of fraud....I think it fits there to say the least.

Am I saying that all insurance companies are fraudulent when it comes to releases? Yep, sure am! Therefore, it seems as though it is a fraudulent scheme.....thus, a scam.

So you guys really think it’s fair that if you take time, effort and training, (often hands on field training) and pour yourself into somebody that if they decide to leave you a year later for five more points they should be able to do that free and clear?

Devils advocate question

I'll agree with you on 3. What about releases. How would you label that? If it's not in writing would you consider it a scam? I know it is definitely a trap and a gotcha, but what else? By my definition of fraud....I think it fits there to say the least.

Am I saying that all insurance companies are fraudulent when it comes to releases? Yep, sure am! Therefore, it seems as though it is a fraudulent scheme.....thus, a scam.

While I am not going to research it enough to say if it qualifies as fraudulent, I will definitely agree with you that it goes beyond the others. Since it is coming from the carrier, whether at the IMOs behest or not, it should be in the contract and the carrier is the guilty party.

That said, unless you somehow managed to contract for every company out there, it isn't the end of the world. Just write with another company for a while. I'm not aware of any company that refuses to move a contract indefinitely, typically just six months or so, with a few only starting the clock once asked.

I get that companies don't want agents bouncing from upline to upline all the time. However, really this is self-defeating. Smart agents just write with someone else and now the company is deprived of the premium.

Back