For People who Tgt the 67-72 Mkt what % of Apps Get Declined?

jlata1

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I've never wrote any med sup but would like to enter that mkt. I know many people in the 67-72 age group have had big rate increases and will be receptive to switch. The question is what % can qualify for coverage?

Can't say how many could qualify. Maybe 30 - 50%. Could be higher. I never tracked that but I can probably count on one hand the number of apps declined in that last 3 years.

This number will be all over the board depending on who you speak with. I do know of some agencies who track this metric, however because they don't submit any apps that they're not sure will get approved the number is quite low.

The more carriers you sign on with the more chances you'll have to getting them approved due to different underwriting guidelines. Qualify them immediately during your call and depending on health claims work your way down the list of companies provided you can still save them money.

AARP can occasionally be your ace-in-the-hole if you can still beat their rate. Of course the better you know the UW guidelines of each company the lower declines you'll have because you won't be submitting them.

I had a surprise on one yesterday. Lady has no health problems at all other than diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis 18-years ago. Takes a med that she has done fine on for 15-years. No flare ups or events at all. Has a colon exam (can't spell colonostimy) every two years. All good.

Oxford's underwriting manual says will consider if surgery was 24+ months ago.

Find out that they will ONLY consider if there was a surgery 24+ months ago. This lady has never needed surgery because she does fine on meds. Oxford says if no surgery, no approval.

Med Sup underwriting is much less predictable than FE.

Very low percentage if you put them on a MAPD plan. No end stage renal disease? Welcome to Part C of Medicare! Supplements probably around 30% would be a good guess.

I had a surprise on one yesterday. Lady has no health problems at all other than diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis 18-years ago. Takes a med that she has done fine on for 15-years. No flare ups or events at all. Has a colon exam (can't spell colonostimy) every two years. All good.

Oxford's underwriting manual says will consider if surgery was 24+ months ago.

Find out that they will ONLY consider if there was a surgery 24+ months ago. This lady has never needed surgery because she does fine on meds. Oxford says if no surgery, no approval.

Med Sup underwriting is much less predictable than FE.

I would try New Era.

Back