Form to Allow Late Enrollment Part A?

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
I run into this maybe once a year and have to look it up. Got a guy, 70 yrs old, still working. Never signed up for A or B.

I know he needs 40-B and L564E to waive the late penalty for B, but is there a form for Part A or does he use the same form?

Medicare Part A late enrollment with employer group health insurance

https://www.medicare.gov/sign-up-ch...parts-a-and-b/when-sign-up-parts-a-and-b.html

Once your Initial Enrollment Period ends, you may have the chance to sign up for Medicare during a Special Enrollment Period. If you're covered under a group health plan based on current employment, you have a Special Enrollment Period to sign up for Part A and/or Part B any time as long as you or your spouse (or family member if you're disabled) is working, and you're covered by a group health plan through the employer or union based on that work.
You also have an 8-month Special Enrollment Period to sign up for Part A and/or Part B that starts the month after the employment ends or the group health plan insurance based on current employment ends, whichever happens first. Usually, you don't pay a late enrollment penalty if you sign up during a Special Enrollment Period.

I believe they can go online and sign up for A only via SSA.gov. I also think they can do it over the phone with SSA or just fill out the the CMS 40b form and leave the box that says enroll into part B blank.

Thanks for the response, but doesn't he need something from his employer indicating he has been covered by group health since turning 65 and avoid the late enrollment penalty?

He doesn't want to sign up during the GEP and delay the start of A until July. He is working through the end of the year. Wants everything Medicare to start 1/1/17

Last edited:
Thanks for the response, but doesn't he need something from his employer indicating he has been covered by group health since turning 65 and avoid the late enrollment penalty? He doesn't want to sign up during the GEP and delay the start of A until July. He is working through the end of the year. Wants everything Medicare to start 1/1/17
There is no LEP for Part A and no requirement to prove other coverage to get it. It can be postponed as long as the beneficiary wants, added anytime, and backdated six months once enrolled. If he delayed A because he was contributing to an HSA (the only reason one would need to not take A), he needs to limit the HSA contribution to half the 2016 max due to the six month backdatiing of A. Otherwise he may be subject to an excess contribution penalty.

I agree the most common reason someone delays A is ignorance. I'm meeting with someone next week who bought B unnecessarily BC SS told them to. She is 75 and paid 10 years of Medicare premiums and now has to GI into F at a higher premium. Bad info stinks.

The biggest pain with someone not taking A at 65 is it adds an extra step or 2 to the process and delays them getting the card that much quicker.

I typically take all the apps at once and let them know they have 21 days to confirm part B enrollment with the PDP or MAPD.

Thanks again for the clarification. Other than the HSA component, I never figured out why someone would not take A when they T65. After all, it's FREE!

Government takes your tax dollars during your working years then has the gall to tell you Part A is free. That is a sick joke.

Thanks again for the clarification. Other than the HSA component, I never figured out why someone would not take A when they T65. After all, it's FREE! Government takes your tax dollars during your working years then has the gall to tell you Part A is free. That is a sick joke.
You got that right. They call it "premium-free" Part A but it would more accurate to call it Prepaid Part A.

One more thing. Had dental work yesterday and the buzz hasn't completely worn off.

If I read this correctly, this guys wife turns 65 in August. If she signs up for A & B in October her coverage would be effective 1/1/17. If not, when does she need to sign up for a 1/1 eff date?

When will my Medicare coverage start?

If you sign up for Part A (if you have to buy it) and/or Part B in this month: Your coverage starts:
The month you turn 65 1 month after you sign up
1 month after you turn 65 2 months after you sign up
2 months after you turn 65 3 months after you sign up
3 months after you turn 65 3 months after you sign up

Back