Form to Allow Late Enrollment Part A?

One more thing. Had dental work yesterday and the buzz hasn't completely worn off. If I read this correctly, this guys wife turns 65 in August. If she signs up for A & B in October her coverage would be effective 1/1/17. If not, when does she need to sign up for a 1/1 eff date? When will my Medicare coverage start? If you sign up for Part A (if you have to buy it) and/or Part B in this month: Your coverage starts: The month you turn 65 1 month after you sign up 1 month after you turn 65 2 months after you sign up 2 months after you turn 65 3 months after you sign up 3 months after you turn 65 3 months after you sign up
You read it correctly. Enrolling in October will get her a January start date for B. Part A will be backdated to August 1. It is easier for her to do them at the same time online in October. If she enrolls online for Part A only for an August start, then the Part B application will be on paper rather than online.

It is 3 years later and I ran into this again. Good thing this place has a search function.

Husband and wife both 68 covered under wife's group plan. Retiring in October. Neither have A or B.

Because of this thread plus a few other things I found on my own they will have an idea of how to proceed.

When they turned 65 (someone) told them they did not need Part A so don't bother signing up. No idea if they have an HSA or not but I doubt it since they have group cover.

Thanks again to Wes (@WCMason ) for providing answers. All very helpful as usual.

Just for the record, there is one unusual Part A situation where there is a Part A penalty.

If one has to pay for Part A and does not take it during the IEP, and then signs up later, there is a Part A LEP. It is not permanent like the Part B and D penalties.

We had a thread on that awhile back, I couldn't remember the specifics and had to look it up outside the forum, so I don't have the thread link.

Just for the record, there is one unusual Part A situation where there is a Part A penalty.

If one has to pay for Part A and does not take it during the IEP, and then signs up later, there is a Part A LEP. It is not permanent like the Part B and D penalties.

We had a thread on that awhile back, I couldn't remember the specifics and had to look it up outside the forum, so I don't have the thread link.

It's 10% of the premium for per each full year they should have signed up for it. It lasts for a multiple of 2 for each full year.

It is 3 years later and I ran into this again. Good thing this place has a search function.

Husband and wife both 68 covered under wife's group plan. Retiring in October. Neither have A or B.

Because of this thread plus a few other things I found on my own they will have an idea of how to proceed.

When they turned 65 (someone) told them they did not need Part A so don't bother signing up. No idea if they have an HSA or not but I doubt it since they have group cover.

Thanks again to Wes (@WCMason ) for providing answers. All very helpful as usual.

Welp, 3 years later, and the SSA now won't allow folks to apply for anything online without a MySSA account. I am sure that I am not alone in having the experience that around 25% of the people that try to create an account are not able to due to the SSA not being able to verify their identity.

I don't guess I have anything of value to add, just venting.

Welp, 3 years later, and the SSA now won't allow folks to apply for anything online without a MySSA account. I am sure that I am not alone in having the experience that around 25% of the people that try to create an account are not able to due to the SSA not being able to verify their identity.

It's a nightmare. I have a lady that is T65 august that has been trying for 2 months to create an account. They have even sent her codes in the mail to be able to sign up but she can't get it to work. Finally, today she is going up to the SS office but this seems to be a common occurrence.

It's a nightmare. I have a lady that is T65 august that has been trying for 2 months to create an account. They have even sent her codes in the mail to be able to sign up but she can't get it to work. Finally, today she is going up to the SS office but this seems to be a common occurrence.

In my job, we're encouraged to have a myssa account, so we can walk people through it. It's kind of a nightmare, for sure.. but it has gotten a little better from when it was first launched.

I had the same problem...couldn't identify me. I haven't taken the time to go to the local SS office to prove that I'm me yet. :goofy:

In my job, we're encouraged to have a myssa account, so we can walk people through it. It's kind of a nightmare, for sure.. but it has gotten a little better from when it was first launched.

The only problem my wife and I had was that some of the SSA identification questions go back such a long time for things like residences and loans that it is a little difficult to remember the "right" answers.

I think it took me 3-4 tries to figure out the answers they wanted to their questions for me-my wife's were almost the same and we got hers in two.

Back