Forum Moderation

Dave020

Super Moderator
California
Insurance Forums
Sponsored Advertorial
While viewing some deleted posts in the LTCi forum, I felt the need to address this forum as a whole. As a moderator, I want to make clear the rules I use for posts on the total forum. I cannot and do not speak for Sam nor any of the other moderators.

First I want to state that I have been told by various people within the insurance industry (including carriers and carrier reps) that they find the forum unprofessional in terms of both posts that result in fighting and attacks on newbies. Carriers reps have told me that they read the forum and want to encourage their new agents to participate but don't because they fear that the recommendation will only result in the new agent getting blasted for a "stupid question". Carriers and carrier reps don't want the blow back from that, and I don't blame them.

One poster mentioned that he feels moderators may delete posts or move them to the fight club because they don't like the poster. Speaking for myself, and I am sure the other mods agree, we don't move or remove posts because of who wrote them! We move or delete them because they are argumentative, offensive or serve no purpose on the insurance forum.

When we started working on the new moderation, Sam and I discussed the issues effecting the tone and tenor of the forum as well as the perception that we are dealing with a supposed group of "professionals". I know what my goal was and still is and I believe that Sam supports my actions as a moderator.

So, all of that being said, I speak for myself as a moderator when I say that I do whatever is necessary in terms of moderation to make sure this forum is professional and that new agents or consumers don't feel they need to avoid the forum for fear of abuse. Additionally, those who post simply to irritate other posters or create conflict will be deleted or moved to fight club very fast. I take the responsibility Sam gave me very seriously and desire a forum made up of professionals who can disagree without name calling and starting arguments.

Many of the posts deleted or moved have been so done by me. As soon as I see it starting, your post is GONE! I will not moderate a forum for 3rd graders and if you all can't find a way to get along peacefully, you will not have posts in the various forums.

Dave

Last edited:
I concur Dave, if anyone complains about their flaming post being deleted or moved--they should look at other forums especially religious forums that talk about politics. If you were a poster who "flamed a lot" you would be banned pronto. So those who make threads with the intention just to get people riled up, should be very thankful for the lenient attitude from the Sam and the mods here.

It's not just "new" agents that get blasted and the part I don't like is the waste of time reading these "blasts". Why do those that will blast others while not contributing anything to the conversation think it's okay to waste the time of their fellow "agents" or Al? Everyone should look at what they post and if it's not positive or humorous and/or contributing to the conversation take your crap elsewhere.

I have talked to several agents who do stay away from this forum because of the crap. It's crazy and I'm glad to see someone is taking some control. Go Dave!

Part of the issue here is the poster as well and some people not knowing what is unproductive vs tough love.

For example, I think it should be more in their face about doing a search before asking. It does get tiring having to explain to people how to get P&C carriers as a new agent, or where to find cheap E&O. I also think that we should control a little more about people wanting contracts and FMO/IMO information to possibly another forum section about it and people discussing them. Instead of having people talking about Assurity and who does nice contracts, have a section where we see who offers it like Mark.

I think that the search function is a fantastic, under-utilized tool. I also think, however, there are times that I have a hard time finding things because of so many pages with the same words like "assurity, non-med" and things like that. Perhaps having discussions/topics on a sub-forum for different products and companies would make that a lot easier and then people who don't do use search functions can still go around looking. It will probably educate them even more since they learn other things they might not even know to ask.

We don't have to micro-organize topics but I think some measures will prevent a lot of overlap on topics being re-done.

A section on IMOs/FMOs would be nice. A section on different companies would be nice, and a section on different products in general for strategies (WL vs term vs UL vs IUL, group products, med supps, commercial auto, professional liability, etc.). A section on different vendors offering services that are used would be nice (lead companies, CRMs, cold-callers, other services and etc., things like that) would be great as well. They don't have to be one topic on each company only, but one section for discussion would be nice. A section on different states would be nice possibly, since carrier appetites, laws, products available, carrier reps, and things like that are all different as well. Even if you don't do states, but if you do regions (NC, SC, GA, VA, TN or CA, TX, AR, etc.) then it will help give more relevant information.

There is only so much that can be done to fix this issue on people wanting to use the forum. Life happens and freedom of speech is going to be freedom of speech. But perhaps getting some different areas to talk about things make things easier to find. I think humor is great and getting off-topic is very informative when I read them, but sometimes things are just not answered. That is what is most frustrating

I'm guilty of telling people to use the search function rather than answer a question. I answer the same things a few times and then I tell them to use the search function if I did it recently. I'm not going to tell someone where to get carriers and what clusters to use in P&C, and then answer the same question when the other topic is on the first 1-2 pages. However, I mainly do it for 1-2 posters who obviously didn't look before asking, and I don't for very specific questions like carriers in NC for non-standard lines.

Maybe this could help a little bit? I think a forum this large that is for people in all 50 states needs some more organization and topics specific to those kinds of people. I see a lot of asking in IN, GA, and places what kind of carriers help with different commercial people and things and then people in other states comment as well. I think you are more likely to get a response if people in GA see topics asked in GA rather than go through 5-10 pages of things and not even know if the topic is based on GA without it being in the topic. Maybe show the flag/state in the topic to help get relevant readers to see it?

I have stopped recommending this site as well for people. I have seen questions asked where agents say not to worry about it, to say it was a dumb question, get off topic, and things like that. If someone has a purely speculative question, then it doesn't frequently get answered because someone says to not worry about it, or things like that. This isn't true for everyone, but it does happen. Others try to advertise here, which I think is BS as well. I think that anyone who has an IMO and tries to advertise needs to have a section and be registered with the site with a vendor tag, like Mark, Todd, Josh, people like that. If you represent a company like a carrier, then you should be registered like one. Put the company they represent on their name so that way you definitely know their interest, if any, when talking. Move the link from their signature to under the name as well.

Hope some of this helps. I go here a lot of different things as a newer agent for L&H and help out with others for P&C when I can. I've picked up a lot of stuff in L&H and am more knowledgeable in L&H than any other agent in my P&C agency. So for that, I thank everyone.

EDIT: Sorry if this is all over the place, it was a very impromptu post while getting a few other things done. I'll try to clean it up and get things more in depth when I can later.

Last edited:
I think part of it is what the poster above just said. A lot of it comes from the frustration of seeing the same exact question two or three times a day, versus reading some of the numerous threads that already discussed the topic.

Back