Forum Moderation

I hope you'll find value in the information you mine from this forum, and I'm glad to hear you now feel welcome and have moved past the hazing ritual for newbies.

When this forum was first started (after the original one collapsed,) it was a much kinder and more gentle place. People were genuinely helpful and we didn't have near the amount of people who were not here to educate but were instead here to castigate.

Over the years the forum gravitated into less of a "help" venue as opposed to one for those who were "called" to proselytize their own particular political or religious point of view.

Ann is right. Women have always been discouraged from participating in this industry as well as this forum, via the way they are treated.... in both. The irony is that while women don't do "well" in this venue, they do very well in the industry.

Besides Ann and Melissa, I can't think of any other women on this forum. There may be some under assumed screen-names, but no others that have "come out."

Personally, if I were female, I would not want to be here, for the exact reasons that Ann stipulated in her post above. There are a large number of very conservative men here who believe that a woman's place is in the home, subservient to her husband, and preferably "barefoot and pregnant."

It's hard enough for a new man to come to this venue and not be belittled into leaving after asking what is put down as a "dumb" questions by the "regulars." I can't imagine the pressure that a young woman might face.

It is what it is. This is a man's venue... a man-cave if you will... the language, the attitude, and the conservative philosophy of the majority of men who basically want this to be a male-oriented venue is well established.

Personally I welcome women as well as minorities (who would have an equally difficult time here) but few come and even fewer stay... here... and in the industry as a whole.

I think women would have an easier time breaking into NASCAR than becoming accepted as "equals" in the insurance biz if this forum is any barometer.

Just my opinion and YMMV.

"Blessed is one who gives without remembering and receives without forgetting."

Rabbi Eleazar, 1250 AD

A great quote.

Next time please identify which Rabbi Eleazar you're referring to. There have been like over 200 Rabbis in history with the name Eleazar ... :D
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
When this forum was first started (after the original one collapsed,) it was a much kinder and more gentle place. People were genuinely helpful and we didn't have near the amount of people who were not here to educate but were instead here to castigate.

Over the years the forum gravitated into less of a "help" venue as opposed to one for those who were "called" to proselytize their own particular political or religious point of view.

Ann is right. Women have always been discouraged from participating in this industry as well as this forum, via the way they are treated.... in both. The irony is that while women don't do "well" in this venue, they do very well in the industry.

Besides Ann and Melissa, I can't think of any other women on this forum. There may be some under assumed screen-names, but no others that have "come out."

Personally, if I were female, I would not want to be here, for the exact reasons that Ann stipulated in her post above. There are a large number of very conservative men here who believe that a woman's place is in the home, subservient to her husband, and preferably "barefoot and pregnant."

It's hard enough for a new man to come to this venue and not be belittled into leaving after asking what is put down as a "dumb" questions by the "regulars." I can't imagine the pressure that a young woman might face.

It is what it is. This is a man's venue... a man-cave if you will... the language, the attitude, and the conservative philosophy of the majority of men who basically want this to be a male-oriented venue is well established.

Personally I welcome women as well as minorities (who would have an equally difficult time here) but few come and even fewer stay... here... and in the industry as a whole.

I think women would have an easier time breaking into NASCAR than becoming accepted as "equals" in the insurance biz if this forum is any barometer.

Just my opinion and YMMV.

:SLEEP: :SLEEP: :SLEEP:

Last edited:
Ann and Al...
To be honest, I hadn't realized how few women are on this forum and in insurance, for that matter. But the more of a challenge something is to me, the more I persevere to succeed. :yes: Nothing has ever come easy to me and I don't expect it to start now!

So, to all you nay-sayers out there....keep telling me I can't do it, that I'll quit before the first year is up, that I'll never make it in this man's world. It just motivates me to do better, work harder and, eventually, surpass you. :cool:

Melissa & Ann,
First of all, there is no way to determine how many members of the forum are women. If I had to guess it's about the same % of women who are in the insurance business which may be 15%-20%.

I think al3's post is typically off base. A new member will get beat up here equally, whether it's a male or female. And, if 85% of the members here are male, I guess the tone of the threads will reflect that.

Women are not "discouraged to participate in the industry". In fact, in the L & H segment, women are encouraged to join. There are major carriers recruiting women, because women comprise a major % of the target market. There are many opprotunities for women (and minorities) in this business. And, there are many women who are very successful.

The statement: "There are a large number of very conservative men here who believe that a woman's place is in the home, subservient to her husband, and preferably "barefoot and pregnant" is ridiculous, but considering the source, it's to be expected. (Yes, a personal attack, so report me!)

Ladies, this is a tough business and it's tough for both men & women. 90% of those entering the business are gone within 12 months. That's true for both sexes.

Ann, your comment: "This is a tough business populated by Type A males, and the headbutting can be as fierce as two mountain goats on a rocky hillside" (I like that) No such thing as a Type A female? To be successful in many businesses it takes a Type A personalilty. That trait is not limited to the world of insurance.

It's been said many times that thick skin is needed in this business and thicker skin is needed to participate on the forum.

Ann and Al...
To be honest, I hadn't realized how few women are on this forum and in insurance, for that matter. But the more of a challenge something is to me, the more I persevere to succeed. :yes: Nothing has ever come easy to me and I don't expect it to start now!

So, to all you nay-sayers out there....keep telling me I can't do it, that I'll quit before the first year is up, that I'll never make it in this man's world. It just motivates me to do better, work harder and, eventually, surpass you. :cool:

You rock!! :wubclub: I'm hoping you reach all your goals & then some! Don't listen to the naysayers.

Back