Forum Sponsored Spam Emails

scagnt83

Worldwide Expert of Everything
5000 Post Club
I know a few other long time posters have received unsolicited spam emails from the forum recently. I just received one today from [email protected] that was a Genworth "sales ideas" webinar.

I have no problem with the forum making money from ads. But Im not a fan of email ads.

When I first joined the forum I used an old email address just in case I got any spam emails from joining. Once I found that I did not, I switched to my work email so I could stay more current on PM notifications and such. Now suddenly after 6 years Im getting email ads.

I hit unsubscribe so it shouldnt be a big deal going forward... I just never knew that the forum did this. How long has the forum been emailing advertisements?

Last edited:
Hi Tyler,

Thank you very much for starting this discussion and expressing your thoughts. We have sent newsletters and promotional emails for sponsors over the past few years and even as far back as five years ago and will definitely continue to do so. Although the forum is still "losing money" due to our growth strategy, emailing on behalf of sponsors who meet our quality standards is an important component of how we keep the lights on.

It is also a staple of the publishing industry and every insurance industry site that I know of sends promotional messages and offers via email, including but likely not limited to lifehealthpro, insurancenewsnet, producersweb, financial-planning, propertycasualty360, insurance journal, IBAmag, business insurance, agency equity and others

Although our email management practices are constantly improving, they are certainly not perfect. I think we do comply with the can spam rules, and we do honor all unsubscribes. We include a physical mailing address and we have single click unsubscribes in all of our emails and I would be happy to put you on our global unsub list if you want to make sure you never receive any of our emails. Additionally, anyone who marks any of our emails as spam, with any ESP that reports to senders, gets automatically unsubscribed from all emails.

We are also working on building a subscription center so that if someone like you wants to continue to receive transactional emails from the forum, but does not want to receive our newsletters or promotional messages, it will be a simpler process.

This would be a particularly good week for you and anyone else who does not want to receive any promotional emails from us, to unsubscribe, as we have a couple more coming.

One additional point I will make is that unlike most other industry sites, this one is run by a working agent, who is currently in the business of selling insurance, and who has read more threads on this forum in the past eight years than just about anyone. We refuse advertisers on a pretty much a weekly basis when we don't think they meet our quality standards as someone that we thing agents can truly benefit from.

We also have an excellent team of moderators who take the time for no compensation, to help keep the discussions clean and get rid of unwanted spammers, so the forum is readable and usable.

We know that just as members can come on here and start a discussion about not liking our emailing practices, they can also come and dislike the companies that we recommend and express disappointment if they tried something or someone based on our recommendation. Agents are not always correct in all of their assessments of what is quality and what is a scam, but they often are, and we never want to be in a position where we have caused harm to our members.

Just to broaden the discussion a bit more, in case anyone is wondering, we also offer advertorials in sticky format, reprints of articles, forum sponsorship, banner ads, site skins in certain niches, content marketing, newsletter sponsorship, rss feeds, resource directory upgrades, social media promotion and some other advertising options.

We are in the publishing business, we have a staff that includes editorial, sales, client services, webmaster, developer and accounting. We have never been "profitable" because we are funding growth, but we are growing and plan on adding more offerings as we do.

We also face challenges to our business that most members are blissfully unaware of and that require a lot of resources just to tread water, including dealing extensively with scrapers and DMCA issues, lawsuits when companies do not like what is said about them, technical infrastructure, aggressive spammers and more. Additionally, I know that some wish we didn't get any new members, or wish old members would return, but aggregating a constant inflow of new members so that the community stays as robust as we can make it, requires a lot of resources and technical vigilance.

Publishing is a very tough business since the fall of the industry in the past number of years. Publishing for the insurance industry in particular is very crowded and we think we have a unique take on it and are excited about the runway and hope you will enjoy at least some of those things.

We do take feedback seriously and reserve the right to get smarter, so please continue providing it.

Sam

I understand as a business owner and advertiser on the Forum that the goal is to monetize your asset.

You all have done a superb job keeping the advertising non-pervasive yet relevant, while not tainting the credibility of the user-driven content.

What other venue would take hundreds (if not thousands of dollars) for a sticky advertorial from an advertiser while also allowing a forum member to dispute the advertising claims as bunk, just a thread or two over?

Such allowances prove that the forum is run with the best of intentions and principles in mind.

Most of us understand that you run a business and will not get upset about promotional email material coming in at a reasonable rate.

Thank you very much for starting this discussion and expressing your thoughts. We have sent newsletters and promotional emails for sponsors over the past few years and even as far back as five years ago and will definitely continue to do so. Although the forum is still "losing money" due to our growth strategy, emailing on behalf of sponsors who meet our quality standards is an important component of how we keep the lights on.

It is odd that I have just never received them before. As I mentioned privately, a couple of other members have received these emails for the fist time recently as well. Which is why I wondered how long they have been going out to members.

I hate that the forum is not producing any type of pocket money for you. But I also have a deep respect for your business model and what you want the forum to become. You certainly could take the easy path and just pocket a few thousand a month off of the ads vs. building it up and improving it.

----------

It is also a staple of the publishing industry and every insurance industry site that I know of sends promotional messages and offers via email, including but likely not limited to lifehealthpro, insurancenewsnet, producersweb, financial-planning, propertycasualty360, insurance journal, IBAmag, business insurance, agency equity and others

While I agree to some extent. As I expressed privately some of those make the advertising emails optional when you create your membership.

----------

Although our email management practices are constantly improving, they are certainly not perfect. I think we do comply with the can spam rules, and we do honor all unsubscribes. We include a physical mailing address and we have single click unsubscribes in all of our emails and I would be happy to put you on our global unsub list if you want to make sure you never receive any of our emails. Additionally, anyone who marks any of our emails as spam, with any ESP that reports to senders, gets automatically unsubscribed from all emails.

I did not mark the email as spam because I know that can be a negative and enough spam reports can cause email restrictions. And yes, it was canspam compliant and at the end of the day not a huge issue. Just surprising since it was the first email after 6 years of being a member.

----------

One additional point I will make is that unlike most other industry sites, this one is run by a working agent, who is currently in the business of selling insurance, and who has read more threads on this forum in the past eight years than just about anyone. We refuse advertisers on a pretty much a weekly basis when we don't think they meet our quality standards as someone that we thing agents can truly benefit from.

Aside from you know who. As I have expressed in the past to you privately, I agree that you have a high quality group of advertisers and hope that you get more.

----------

We know that just as members can come on here and start a discussion about not liking our emailing practices, they can also come and dislike the companies that we recommend and express disappointment if they tried something or someone based on our recommendation. Agents are not always correct in all of their assessments of what is quality and what is a scam, but they often are, and we never want to be in a position where we have caused harm to our members.

This forum is by far the most open and free for an agent to express their views about most anything industry related. As Ive told you before I have a deep respect for that and I think this forum is one of the best things for the insurance industry in general. It is invaluable for new agents as well as experienced agents.

----------

Additionally, I know that some wish we didn't get any new members, or wish old members would return, but aggregating a constant inflow of new members so that the community stays as robust as we can make it, requires a lot of resources and technical vigilance.

Wino is the only member I wish would go away... mainly because he is a wino :1confused:

On a serious note, I have a deep respect for what you do and for this forum. It has been instrumental to my development as an agent over the years. While I might not always agree with some advertisers or like some advertising practices, I thank you for allowing myself and others to voice our opinions freely about them... just as I would expect if I were to advertise on here for something. Spirited discussion and multiple viewpoints on a subject is hardly ever a bad thing. Usually it either helps to validate it or expose it. Either way it will benefit the agents who this forum was built for.
Hopefully my post did not come across in a bad way. Keep up the good work.

----------

Such allowances prove that the forum is run with the best of intentions and principles in mind.

Hopefully Sam nor anyone else felt that my post was an attack on the intentions or principles of Sam's forum.

----------

Most of us understand that you run a business and will not get upset about promotional email material coming in at a reasonable rate.

Of course you support advertising emails since you pay for advertising on the forum... :1rolleyes:
(just playing devils advocate)

----------

You all have done a superb job keeping the advertising non-pervasive yet relevant, while not tainting the credibility of the user-driven content.

What other venue would take hundreds (if not thousands of dollars) for a sticky advertorial from an advertiser while also allowing a forum member to dispute the advertising claims as bunk, just a thread or two over?

I couldnt agree more. And I am thankful to Sam for allowing me to freely voice my opinion of the guy who would rather make $2k vs. $100k off the $100 leads he generates.

Certain things I cant help but open my mouth about. Kind of like certain types of FE & annuity postcards that give the false impression of being from a government entity because it uses the same name as one on the return address.
However, if I were to ever advertise on the forum I would expect the same level of free and open debate on my product or service. Although I have told Sam that I will leave the IUL lead guy/book peddler alone if he wants me to.

Last edited:
It is odd that I have just never received them before. As I mentioned privately, a couple of other members have received these emails for the fist time recently as well. Which is why I wondered how long they have been going out to members.

I hate that the forum is not producing any type of pocket money for you. But I also have a deep respect for your business model and what you want the forum to become. You certainly could take the easy path and just pocket a few thousand a month off of the ads vs. building it up and improving it.

----------

While I agree to some extent. As I expressed privately some of those make the advertising emails optional when you create your membership.

----------

I did not mark the email as spam because I know that can be a negative and enough spam reports can cause email restrictions. And yes, it was canspam compliant and at the end of the day not a huge issue. Just surprising since it was the first email after 6 years of being a member.

----------

Aside from you know who. As I have expressed in the past to you privately, I agree that you have a high quality group of advertisers and hope that you get more.

----------

This forum is by far the most open and free for an agent to express their views about most anything industry related. As Ive told you before I have a deep respect for that and I think this forum is one of the best things for the insurance industry in general. It is invaluable for new agents as well as experienced agents.

----------

Wino is the only member I wish would go away... mainly because he is a wino :1confused:

On a serious note, I have a deep respect for what you do and for this forum. It has been instrumental to my development as an agent over the years. While I might not always agree with some advertisers or like some advertising practices, I thank you for allowing myself and others to voice our opinions freely about them... just as I would expect if I were to advertise on here for something. Spirited discussion and multiple viewpoints on a subject is hardly ever a bad thing. Usually it either helps to validate it or expose it. Either way it will benefit the agents who this forum was built for.
Hopefully my post did not come across in a bad way. Keep up the good work.

----------

Hopefully Sam nor anyone else felt that my post was an attack on the intentions or principles of Sam's forum.

----------

Of course you support advertising emails since you pay for advertising on the forum... :1rolleyes:
(just playing devils advocate)

----------

I couldnt agree more. And I am thankful to Sam for allowing me to freely voice my opinion of the guy who would rather make $2k vs. $100k off the $100 leads he generates.

I was all "yeah, yeah" and all kumbyah till I got to the elder abuse. Damn snot nose!

I would pay to be here. I do not want to, but would.
I would pay a little extra if I could be the FE Moderator. ;)

I'm on a lot of forums as are many of you.

I highly respect Sam for what he has done & is doing with this site. Yes, I'm one of the advertisers now & then:)

I love the interaction, ideas & help that agents give to each other. This site has something for everyone in the business no matter what type of agent she is. I am amazed at all the wisdom that is shared.

I find the emails informative & especially like the weekly one that gives an update about the most viewed/commented threads. Even when most don't apply to what I do, I still find the topics interesting & will click on 1-2 of them to find out more info.

To Sam & the un-paid moderators: Keep up the good work that you are doing.

Thank you & many Blessings to you & yours. I know it is not easy & takes up quite a few hours each month.

Bob

I was all "yeah, yeah" and all kumbyah till I got to the elder abuse. Damn snot nose!

I'd like to see that...it would be very entertaining considering you're not a real FE agent.;)

The email did surprise me that @insurance-forums.net sent me something regarding Genworth... because I am appointed with Genworth. Just thought it was odd.

I have no problem with compliant marketing emails like this that are easy to unsubscribe, etc.

Oh how that would ruffle some feathers.

I miss some of the old members especially Frank but there is no bringing him back. Sam has always been above board and has went the extra mile to communicate with us and to run things fairly. Sam has even offered pm explanations to me about certain issues when as far as I was concerned none was required. My hat is off to him. I think he has done a great job.

Back