Foundation Wall Collapsed - ENTIRELY ?????

Feb 26, 2016

1. insurance1822

insurance1822 Guru

State:
    Alabama
    We got a tremendous amount of rain & one of my client's basement wall collapsed. It was block foundation & the whole wall literally ENTIRELY collapsed. I'm guessing from water buildup in the soil?

So imagine it's mostly underground on all 4 sides, yet 1 side entirely collapsed inwards and you could walk out of the basement now & scale the dirt & be up on the lawn. You could put a slipnslide on the lawn that goes downward into the basement if you catch my drift.

Is this covered? I think I just attached a photo

Attached Files:

2. FL P&C Broker

FL P&C Broker Guru

State:
    Florida
    Damn dude. You seem to have gotten hit with a lot of weird claims lately.

3. Tkruger

Tkruger Guru

State:
    Florida
    Took the words right out of my mouth.

Tkruger, Feb 26, 2016
  4. Arnage150

Arnage150 Guru

Depends on what they say the reason was. My guess it wasn't the rain storm. The blocks that were there have probably been getting water in them for years eventually rotting them out. If that the case it is not sudden and accidental. It was gradual wear and tear. You also have to read the exclusions and see if there are any settling related exclusions. They are usually called, "absolute earth movement exclusion" or "subsidence exclusion."
    What company? I would guess it would be covered but would love to know the outcome.

5. AZDave

AZDave Guru

State:
    Arizona
    Man, that picture says it all! I can just hear them now: "What the heck good is this policy, anyway!".

Good Luck!

Dave

AZDave, Feb 26, 2016
  6. ModernInsurance

ModernInsurance Super Genius

Looks like a major headache. I bet it won't be covered... water-related damage seldom is. Keep us posted, I'm interested to hear what the carrier says.