Fourth of July Traditions

Brian Anderson

Executive Editor
100+ Post Club
Is anybody working Friday or is everybody taking a long weekend? And do you do the same thing pretty much every Fourth of July weekend, or does it vary year to year?
My 10-year-old daughter is obsessed by tradition, so we pretty much do the same thing every year - head for Vail, see fireworks July 3 and 4, hit the pool and the town's parade on July 4 and get together with the same group of family and friends for a barbecue and play a massive game of whiffle ball. And of course blow a few things up while waiting for the town's fireworks.:1wink:

What are your favorite Fourth of July traditions, or what are you planning this year?

It all depends on if I take Friday off or not. I have no set tradition, but often I am grilling steaks, ribs, or burgers with family. Last year I took a 4 day weekend & went on a fishing trip. This year I am working a half day Friday. I will hopefully watch fireworks downtown on Sat, then shoot off fireworks at the house after... I got a huge SOB that sits on a stand and shoots the big balls up in the air, then I got a few roman candles. It should be fun :1smile:

I sure hope that all this flag waving on the 4th isn't just another hate crime that is intended to say that this country is better than others, or preferred more than others because the are all equal- and that we just are not progressive enough to see it for what it is.

In regard to traditions, when I was younger we would go to visit the grave of my great....great..g..g who was with the Rhode Island 2nd Line Regiment during the Revolution. When they were encamped near Morristown during the winter at Valley Forge, some of the men were executed for eating a couple handfuls of the horses oats. In the spring, the Cavalry was dispatched to trap a school of shad running up a small river by putting the horses out in the river above and below the school of fish. There were not many complaints about the fish being boney.

Clearly not something these folks are worrying about:

» VIDEO: Citizens Don’t Know What Country We Seceded From In 1776 Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

Last edited:
Is anybody working Friday or is everybody taking a long weekend? And do you do the same thing pretty much every Fourth of July weekend, or does it vary year to year?
My 10-year-old daughter is obsessed by tradition, so we pretty much do the same thing every year - head for Vail, see fireworks July 3 and 4, hit the pool and the town's parade on July 4 and get together with the same group of family and friends for a barbecue and play a massive game of whiffle ball. And of course blow a few things up while waiting for the town's fireworks.:1wink:

What are your favorite Fourth of July traditions, or what are you planning this year?

Yep, we eat, drink (coca cola) and blow stuff up.

Attachments

• alieli.JPG
    alieli.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0503.JPG
    IMG_0503.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0504.JPG
    IMG_0504.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0505.JPG
    IMG_0505.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 27
Beer drinking! But I did buy some chicken to grill, in case my underage son gets hungry.

I will also make a few telephone calls tomorrow to set some appointments for next week, but mainly focusing on the beer! :)

Yep, we eat, drink (coca cola) and blow stuff up.

I recognize a lot of those fireworks. I had a stand a few years back.

----------

It all depends on if I take Friday off or not. I have no set tradition, but often I am grilling steaks, ribs, or burgers with family. Last year I took a 4 day weekend & went on a fishing trip. This year I am working a half day Friday. I will hopefully watch fireworks downtown on Sat, then shoot off fireworks at the house after... I got a huge SOB that sits on a stand and shoots the big balls up in the air, then I got a few roman candles. It should be fun :1smile:

Sounds fun. I am not sure what an SOB is though :no:

Fireworks in my town are always a disappointment. I usually go up to Glassy mountain or Bald Rock up by the NC border and watch all the shows at once. That is what I am planning on this year.

One of the few advantages of being the Old Man is going to one of the kid's homes. Eat, drink then leave the mess for them. :)

The bummer is the family is scattered this year.

----------

One tradition is toasting the American guys and gals with guts and guns that brought and continue bring us the freedoms we have.

Back