Fraternal insurer launches first all-digital Med Supp application

Insurance Forums Staff

Guru
Sponsor
Insurance Forums Staff submitted a new article

Fraternal insurer launches first all-digital Med Supp application
bigstock-Medicare-Supplement-Insurance-192549841.jpg

Catholic Life Insurance, using Ensurem’s Medigap EZ-App platform, says it is the first to offer a true direct-to-consumer Medicare Supplement insurance application that allows consumers to enroll without speaking to an insurance agent.
Continue reading the Original Article.

The application bypasses insurance agents completely, “allowing customers to apply on their own timeframe and receive a decision about qualification within minutes,”

What could possibly go wrong there?

The same people who lie about health conditions to us will also lie about health conditions to them (probably more so since they don’t have to look a person in the eye when answering health questions) and will be denied coverage when the medical checks are run. I also am willing to bet that the percentage of people who are on these that don’t have RX plans will be higher as well, because there won’t be an agent there to explain the LEP to those who take no or low-cost medicines. People think they are getting a better deal by cutting the agent out, but they are missing out often on valuable experience and advice.

The application bypasses insurance agents completely, “allowing customers to apply on their own timeframe and receive a decision about qualification within minutes,”

What could possibly go wrong there?

I wonder what would happen if GI business found it's way there, and other unhealthy business... This could be a recipe for disaster for them

Carriers that write a lot of direct business manage to get a fair amount of trash. My guess would be they find a way to legitimately reject GI business that comes in that way.

"You neglected to include form 5503-6b so we are unable to process your application".

They will also get a lot of junk applications during AEP from folks who think the can change/buy a Medigap since it is open enrollment.

Or because Obama prohibited carriers from rejecting people if they had pre-ex conditions.

Unless these folks promote themselves to Catholics I doubt they will write much business unless they have killer rates. Even then, applications can be intimidating unless you are completing apps regularly.

In other words, an agent . . .

The same people who lie about health conditions to us will also lie about health conditions to them (probably more so since they don’t have to look a person in the eye when answering health questions) and will be denied coverage when the medical checks are run. I also am willing to bet that the percentage of people who are on these that don’t have RX plans will be higher as well, because there won’t be an agent there to explain the LEP to those who take no or low-cost medicines. People think they are getting a better deal by cutting the agent out, but they are missing out often on valuable experience and advice.
I agree. Kind of like people that think they can handle legal matters without the expertise and advice of a lawyer. Good luck, consumer folks that try this!! You're certainly gonna need it!

Back