Fraud Claims Tracker ?

Tim Resnick

Super Genius
Fraud - Claim ?

Recently, i have met a guy from my bowling club who doesn't know what i do for a living. After seeing him a few times and even rolling a few balls with him, he starts drinking a few and talking (blah, blah) about some insurance scam he pulled with a Rental car company. What? Apparently he put in a 'break in robbery claim' that he lost (computers, tools, etc) while Renting a car from one of the Big Rental Co's (who offer extra coverage for such events). Well,...i shake my head. BUT, then seeing him again, I learn later he's trying to pull another scam (slip n fall) and suing that company too.

Huh?

QUESTION: Is there an insurance data-base that keeps track of all the claims that an individual makes? I'm wondering how many times this clown has pulled these tricks and ALSO if anyone is onto him?

Thanks

Is there an insurance data-base that keeps track of all the claims that an individual makes?

Yes. Up until 1997, the Index System was maintained by the American Insurance Services Group, Inc. (AISG), an affiliate of the American Insurance Association (AIA). In 1997, the Index System was acquired by the Insurance Services Offices, Inc. (ISO) and merged with its databases. Over 900 insurance companies report claims to the index.

However, with regard to the car rental coverage provided by the rental company, I suspect that there is either a proprietary database within that industry or that the car rental companies charge enough for that coverage that they can absorb a bogus claim once in a while.

Getting back to personal injury claims, the best way for a liability insurance company to protect itself is to thoroughly investigate the claims. There's no question that scamming an insurance company for a few thousand dollars is easy, but if the guy has the idea of getting much more than that he will be put through the wringer during the investigation.

People go to jail for insurance fraud more often than most people realize because convictions are not widely publicized, though they should be, as a deterrent. Insurance companies just don't seem to want the reputation of jailing too many of their customers/claimants.

Fraud - Claim ?

Recently, i have met a guy from my bowling club who doesn't know what i do for a living. After seeing him a few times and even rolling a few balls with him, he starts drinking a few and talking (blah, blah) about some insurance scam he pulled with a Rental car company. What? Apparently he put in a 'break in robbery claim' that he lost (computers, tools, etc) while Renting a car from one of the Big Rental Co's (who offer extra coverage for such events). Well,...i shake my head. BUT, then seeing him again, I learn later he's trying to pull another scam (slip n fall) and suing that company too.

Huh?

QUESTION: Is there an insurance data-base that keeps track of all the claims that an individual makes? I'm wondering how many times this clown has pulled these tricks and ALSO if anyone is onto him?

Thanks
Seems like there would be a data base that does that.

The moral to the story is never trust a guy who "rolls balls" . :nah:

Back