FREE LEADS

midwestbroker

Guru
1000 Post Club
Columbia, MO
No, I am not offering free leads. However, a lot of FMO's are out there touting them.

Is this still a valid lure to move or sign a contract with an FMO? Yes, I represent an FMO on the training side, but I can tell you we get A LOT of agents asking for free leads or lead programs.

My question: Do free leads lure you? What do you look for in a lead program?

Thanks in advance!

Free leads most likely appeal to those who are new and under-capitalized. Who wouldn't want to start a business with little to no capital investment?

Unless they are changing lines of coverage, anyone who has been in the business for more than 6 months is probably not going to make it even with free leads.

My experience in the past, free leads are worth exactly what you paid for them.

Often "free" leads are very expensive... If an agency "gives" free leads, they are going to cut your commission to offset their cost (and maybe even use them as a profit source)..

I’m not sure what’s wrong with Free leads if you aren’t taking a cut in commissions.

My upline does a discount mailer which in my opinion is like giving me free leads and I don’t take a cut in comm. I happily stay with them because of it.

I've worked free Mortgage Protection leads , but they were several years old. The broker had a bunch that agents hadn't called or never closed and the guy was willing to give them to me. The good news is that I wrote some but I hired a telemarketer to call through all of them to set appointments. Unless you've got a lot of free time, free leads can be a real time waster. That being said, if you are a guru at asking for referrals, those free leads that close can direct you to some nice cases. Your IMO might have old inventory leads, or even a few "A1" leads from an area with no agent. You can always ask.

As many on this thread have said: watch the contract level and your closing ratio. Often, you're better of buying you own leads at a higher contract. That's more upfront costs but much higher long term commissions.

Back