Free Prescription RX Card

Celebrex, 200 mg, 100 tabs.

$368 with the free Rx card

$131 at Crossborder ($99 for generic).

$112 at Costco (membership not required).

$109 carrier pricing (if insurable)

Can't say how much it is at Kroger but you can see there is quite a discrepancy in pricing. Thanks for picking that example to (at least partially) prove my point.

So how much is that free card if you take Celebrex?

More than I can count on my fingers and toes.

Coumadin, 7.5 mg, 100 tabs.

$95 for free Rx.

$56 at Crossborder

$127 at Costco ($22 for generic Warfarin)

$111 carrier pricing ($62 for generic)

That is the other issue with any Rx plan, not just the stand alone ones. Just because you get a good price on one med doesn't translate to equivalent savings on all meds.

Your client must learn to be an informed shopper.

Using any card, especially a free one, will generate different pricing for the same med from pharmacy to pharmacy. You can also find pricing discrepancies in the same pharmacy chain depending on the part of town where the Rx is filled.

You have way more time than I do.

Usually the free RX cards - someone (or a lot of people) are getting 10 cents to several dollars per script fill.

As long as there is full disclosure - I don't see the big issue if that is what the client wants to try. Al is a pretty straight up guy , I am sure his intentions are beyond good.

My personal opinion - I wouldn't bother when you can order from Canada - or my personal favorite drive to Mexico. Not only can you get your RX filled, you can have a great lunch, buy some gifts and get really drunk - all for about 1/3 of what the RX alone would cost.

In Canada GENERIC Prevacid for 100ct was only around $50, where in the U.S. there IS NO generic available and a 30 day supply is around $100. What a deal!

No one will win the argument that Canada drugs are not regulated or safe - sure they are. I don't see why in the world people don't just hop over the the library (if they have no Internet) and order from Canada?

I assume the U.S. is not arresting people for this (yet)?

Usually the free RX cards - someone (or a lot of people) are getting 10 cents to several dollars per script fill.

As long as there is full disclosure - I don't see the big issue if that is what the client wants to try. Al is a pretty straight up guy , I am sure his intentions are beyond good.

My personal opinion - I wouldn't bother when you can order from Canada - or my personal favorite drive to Mexico. Not only can you get your RX filled, you can have a great lunch, buy some gifts and get really drunk - all for about 1/3 of what the RX alone would cost.

In Canada GENERIC Prevacid for 100ct was only around $50, where in the U.S. there IS NO generic available and a 30 day supply is around $100. What a deal!

No one will win the argument that Canada drugs are not regulated or safe - sure they are. I don't see why in the world people don't just hop over the the library (if they have no Internet) and order from Canada?

No, they aren't, LOL. In fact Congress approved it in 2006/2007.

Excerpt:
Sen. Nelson (D-Fla.): This will ensure Americans, especially the frail, elderly have a chance of affording the medications that they need.
July 13, 2006 – Senior citizens and other Americans may soon be able to purchase drugs from Canada at prices many claim are even lower than those offered by the Medicare drug plans. The Senate passed the bill on Tuesday, following increased enforcement of the ban by Custom and FDA officials

House Bills

The House has approved two FY 2007 appropriations bills -- Homeland Security and Agriculture -- that include provisions to allow the purchase of prescription drugs from abroad, according to Kirstin Brost, a spokesperson for House Appropriations Committee ranking member David Obey (D-Wis.) (AP/San Francisco Chronicle, 7/12).
The provision included in the House Homeland Security appropriations bill would allow the purchase of prescription drugs from any nation (Los Angeles Times, 7/12).

Sorry, wouldn't touch an RX from Mexico. Canada, not a problem...at least when I go to Canada I can drink the water...not in Mexico.

Canadian drugs are not only safe, but many local governments were buying their drugs from Canada until the Fed got involved and said that was illegal.

Back