Friend Got Hit by a Car Auto Insurance Pay Her Medical Bills?

incis

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I have a friend who was hit by a car in OK. Will the person's auto insurance who hit her pay for her medical bills?
thanks...any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not licensed in OK, but I'll give you a California answer. It probably translates pretty well :)

Assuming the person who hit her is at fault, then the bodily injury coverage part of the policy will pay to fix her, i.e., pay her medical bills, lost wages, etc. There is always a yeah, but in these answers though....

Since you are asking the question, I assume the bills are at least reasonably substantial. If the person has low bodily injury limits, its easy to surpass them pretty quickly. In California, a driver is required to have 15/30, which means a minimum of $15000 per person ($30k per accident) of bodily injury coverage. When you start adding up bills, you can get there just in an emergency room portion of a bill.

Now, a lot of people carry higher limits, so this may not be an issue.

The next problem you'll have is whether or not the persons insurance was valid at the time of the accident. I can't answer that, but hopefully it was.

Dan

She have Med pay on her own car? I believe the language on most policies is such that she can recover under her own policy.

She have UM coverage? Another potential avenue.

Just had this happen here with a client and it is a bit of an eye opener. In his case, his auto insurance is covering him up to his policy limits. He went through that in the first day. His auto insurer is going to go after the driver.

He called me to ask if auto and health interact and the answer I learned was NO. After the auto insurance is exhausted, he still has his deductible to meet before his health pays anything. They do not work together like two health policies would. At least here in WA.

She have Med pay on her own car? I believe the language on most policies is such that she can recover under her own policy.

She have UM coverage? Another potential avenue.

She wasn't driving a car...she was on a skateboard and was hit by a car.

She wasn't driving a car...she was on a skateboard and was hit by a car.

Her own auto policy will cover medical. If the other person doesn't have insurance and she had uninsured motorist coverage, that will be available as well.

Disclaimer: It's only been about 20 years since I did auto insurance so thing may have changed.

Rick

Skateboard? Is she a "resident" of a household that has an auto policy? Coverage should still apply. Subrogation rights go to whoever is the carrier.

Good responses here, just to put a little of it into more laymans terms and expound a bit...

If the other party does not have coverage or does not have enough to pay for all her medical bills, pain/suffering, lost wages, etc., her auto coverage or her family's auto coverage may then kick in under the Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM) coverage(s) (some states they are one in the same, in others they are two different coverages).

One final caution: If only a small amount of coverage is going to apply, say $25,000 from the other guy and/or UM/UIM, don't go hiring a lawyer right off the bat. If she has broken bones, scars, etc.., there is no sense in giving up a 1/3 of the settlement to a guy who does nothing but write a letter or two if her case is easily going to draw an offer from the insurance company(ies) of the maximum coverage available.

Latest posts

Back