Friends don't let friends be their Insurance Agent....

maxreferrals

Expert
USA
... or do they....? And should they...?

How do you feel about this touchy subject?

I mean, it's one thing when it's done with the
best intentions: A friend who is new in the business.
Calls on you. Wants you to help you out, possibly
quote some insurance for you, etc.

Or a friend who is going it on his own -- trying to
gather some momentum with his new agency. Wants
to write for you.

I believe it's one thing to be an agent for your brother,
sister, wife's family... etc. But is it any different when
you are not related, soliciting biz from friends?

Or is it even worse?

What do you think...

1. Do you recommend that people use their
friends as their agents, in general?

2. Do you recommend that newly licensed agents
solicit their friends for business?

What do you think...

1. Do you recommend that people use their
friends as their agents, in general?

That all depends on the nature of the relationship. I don't solicit my friends for business, but I do let it be known that I sell insurance. I leave it up to them to decide if they want to do business or not.

2. Do you recommend that newly licensed agents
solicit their friends for business?[/quote]

I do not recommend that new agents solicit their friends for business. However, they should definitely practice their insurance presentation process with a friend or family member willing to offer input.

In general? NO and NO. That is the best way to lose a friend.

Give advice but do not try to sell or hire a friend.

Indeed.

When I was new to the financial world, Met and Ameriprise both had these ridiculous Project 100's that all new advisors were supposed to complete. I found a way not to do that...and I still have my friends as a result. My family is, unfortunately, stuck with me, though. ;)

Never as a new agent. Once you have some time in the business and you know you aren't going to flunk out, if they approach first, but I don't suggest soliciting friends.

They aren't my primary market, but I let them know what I do and encourage them to use me as a resource. If nothing else, I'd hate to see a friends family suffer because I didn't educate them a little about the need for insurance.

there are all kinds of friends. There are those who pick your brains and buy from someone else. There are some who prefer you handle some of their business because they're loyal to you. Then there are the ones you should disqualify yourself from any business relationship....:laugh:

But in the beginning, Don't hammer anyone for business. Just keep them informed of your new venture and products you offer.

If they are a good friend, they'll know what you do and you won't have to remind them. If they want your advice or service, let them bring it up.

And several butchers's aprons
Bring out your dead
What is your favorite color

Back