From Captive P&C Agency to Independent P&C Agency

Feb 12, 2019

1. MrMadeWhole

MrMadeWhole New Member

State:
    Texas
    Seeking advice from my wise insurance forum brothers & sisters. We're exiting the captive agency space and moving to the independent agency space. We've been in the captive agency biz for 3.5 years. What options are available for us to get carrier appointments either directly or otherwise that make good business sense? Also, are there other approaches to overcome this challenge. Lastly, please be specific and put it where the goats can get it. Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

2. EugeneM

EugeneM Guru

State:
    California
    check out the sites search feature. It has been discussed a lot over the years. happy hunting!

EugeneM, Feb 13, 2019
  3. NCAgent828

NCAgent828 Super Genius

State:
    North Carolina
    What type of insurance are you wanting to sell? This may help determine your best options. I was a captive producer for about 10 months before opening my own agency as an Indy agent. Coming from captive will help because captives send monoline business a lot to me. Happy to write for the extra money in the beginning. Opened in April 2018 with SIAA.

NCAgent828, Feb 14, 2019 at 12:05 AM
  4. MrMadeWhole

MrMadeWhole New Member

State:
    Texas
    Will do EugeneM. Thanks.

NCAgent828 - Home, auto, flood, watercraft & small businesses. Does SIAA require you to have $250K, 500K or 1 million in premium before they will talk with you? Thanks.

5. NCAgent828

NCAgent828 Super Genius

State:
    North Carolina
    No, I joined SIAA as a scratch agency. $0 premium on the books.

NCAgent828, Feb 14, 2019 at 3:47 PM
  6. Charlie Downey

Charlie Downey New Member

State:
    Massachusetts
    carriers remain reluctant to appoint new agencies and actually we are seeing the trend go the other way, reducing the size of agents appointed. There are over 1,000 Clusters of agents and aggregators out there. Our retail agency Joined National Insurance Group and are now owners. there are a thousand options all with a little different twist. Look out for long term contracts , who owns the Business produced, back out fees and commission %'s. Hope that helps.

7. NCAgent828

NCAgent828 Super Genius

State:
    North Carolina
    Everything he said is 100% on point.

NCAgent828, Feb 14, 2019 at 4:43 PM
  8. Tom_Insurance_Guy

Tom_Insurance_Guy New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I too am also trying to go independent and get out of being captive. I am looking at which aggregators are good to work with. I just forgot what my LSA from State Farm about non-compete. The last thing i remember is that I can't take another State Farm clients while working at State Farm. Forgot the rest because I didn't think I would want to leave State Farm.

9. MrMadeWhole

MrMadeWhole New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thank you both for the insight.