From Insurance to Actuarial Science

Hola Amigo

Hello everybody!

I graduated from college but can't find a job. This is quite a distressing situation since the longer you're unemployed, the less attractive you look to prospective employers - prolonging your unemployment. You get it, I'm in a spiral.

I have a bachelor's degree in Chemistry and a minor in Mathematics. I have the first two actuarial exams passed and am awaiting results for the SOA(Society of Actuaries) exam MLC(Models: Life Contingencies).

I figure that entering into the insurance sector with a non-actuarial position is my best option at the moment.

All comments and criticism are welcomed and encouraged.

Fire away!

Consulting firms (KPMG, PW, etc.) and the actual health insurance companies as well as life - those would be my recommendations.

The chemistry side, you go go government on yourself (water departments, EPA, etc.)

Best of success!

You name a place that hires actuaries, and I've applied there.

98% of the time I am outright ignored which makes me very sad because I'm a competent and intelligent person.:realmad:

I'll give you the same advice I give to my two early 20's children...

Find a way to work for yourself. There is no security in working for others. You'll rarely get ahead (especially financially)!

When you are young and don't have so many obligations is the best time to start.

Back