Front End Collision NYC

Joseph Perez

I was leaving work yesterday at a local mall. It has these roads that lead to parking lots and the other side of the mall. I left the parking lot doing about 15-20 MPH, and I noticed a driver a couple hundred feet up making a right hand turn. This roads in this mall are a pretty narrow 2-way, definitely enough room in both lanes to go in both lanes without worry. This other driver is in a old honda accord, and takes the right hand turn like he's driving a limousine. He is over the yellow line and in my lane while I am proceeding in the opposite direction and then slams on the brakes and comes to a dead stop mid turn and blocks off my lane (Opposite lane) and its raining and my SUV is heavy so you know what happens next. We collide and my front bumper is pushed in on the left and hanging. The damage to his vehicle is very minimal, he only had a cracked headlight. I currently have Allstate and accident forgiveness. However, six months ago in June I was rear ended. Insurance paid for $4k in repairs and eventually got the full amount and deductible from the other driver since he was at fault. I'm in a tough situation, I am a young driver and I am not on my parents insurance policy and this is my second accident in this vehicle that isn't even insured to me or registered to me. My question for you is I am concerned for my parents insurance rates. I don't want them to have to pay more over a dumb accident that isn't even my fault. Please give me advice. Crash occurred at around 10 PM last night so I have yet to call them and file a claim. I will be calling within the next hour. Thank you for reading.

You borrowed your parent's vehicle and were involved in an accident OR you live with Mom and Dad, drive their vehicle, have had a previous accident, and are still not listed as a driver on their policy.
In case #1 you need to remember that the coverage follows the vehicle and the more things you say to mitigate your fault may come back to haunt you. If the accident was in the lot your carrier may decide that they will pay for Mom and Dad's car and deny coverage to the other vehicle. Mom and Dad may get a letter asking about how often you use their car.

Case #2 You are an undisclosed driver and your carrier has every right to deny coverage for Mom and Dad's vehicle but may cover the other car through liability. the policy could deny coverage for everything. Mom and Dad may get a letter of non-renewal or a demand letter for back premium for the period you should have been on the policy but were not.

Back